What's new

make me a PC!! (1 Viewer)

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

I had the same problem with my Vortex 2 card. I did some searching and found a fix for it. Had to to run a couple programs to fix some registers and bingo...works like a charm now. I'd just use the default WinXP drivers for the card...the ones from doing a Windows Update just removes all the hardware acceleration, which leads to a nasty problem with Neverwinter Nights[/b].

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ouch, maybe you guys will need to retire the vortex2 cards! I have one sitting on the shelf...nice card, but Aureal went belly up...driver support is nil, and every new game has problems with it. :frowning:

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Wow... you guys are awesome, all of you, thanks so much, I'm in the process of rounding up some friends to go shopping! wish me luck!! :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Good luck paul! And make sure you double check allof your parts and prices, especially if you go to Memory Express. :)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hmmm.. well, waiting for my computer friends to give me a ride to the store is proving frustrating (yes, I take the loser cruiser), and I don't want to be taking monitors, cases, etc on the train. This has given me time to think.

Some of you mentioned NCIX.ca. this interests me because of their online pricematching with any other canadian retailer, they already have good prices on most everything including the Logitech Wireless Optical mouse/keyboard combo. (I want the choice of using the scroll wheel with my left hand as well!!) I can use my amex card and get airmiles (it's a good investment!!), and shipping is less than 50 bucks including insurance for the whole system.

one buddy says not to buy from an online place as some things dont work right away and you'll have to send it back. is this a valid concern with buying computer equipment online?

and secondly, it looks like they only carry samsung ram. how does this compare to micron, besides being cheaper...??

memory express doesn't price match, I know that, does this firestorm place price match??

thanks again!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I ordered all my parts from NCIX. They do carry Micron ram.
The having to send stuff back is a very valid concern as I oh so painfully found out. I ordered my system on May 16th and I still don't have it all together (I would if the DVD drive I got didn't die, but I still had to send two other things back).
This thread details my experience:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=ncix

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've bought a fair amount of stuff from NCIX and they're great. I love having it shipped to my work so I don't even have to drive anywhere to pick up parts they just show up on my desk:)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Paul, Firestorm will likely price match...they're small and more easy-going than the folks at memory express, who are usually much more busy with customers than at Firestorm, which doesn't see a lot of traffic.

Ordering online is still very risky, in my opinion. If something goes wrong, you'll be waiting several weeks, at least, before you can find a replacement part. If you don't mind waiting, have a spare PC to use, and lots of time on your hands to deal with RMA and phone/email support, some extra cash laying around for shipping back RMAs, then it might be worthwhile. Keep in mind that if something goes wrong with the online order, than the savings you expected from ordering online will probably disappear, as you deal with shipping fees, long-distance calls, and lost productivity. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it...just be aware of the problems so you don't get caught in an unexpected bind!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So I have a new computer!!... sort of !! We went to memory express tonight and were able to buy everything but the monitor. I was able to get :
Athalon 1600
cheap $30 case with front usb ins
gigabyte ga7vrx mobo
300W power supply
MSI TI500 GF3 64mb ram
micron 256 ddr 2100
SB live 5.1
WD 40 gig
sunon fan
panasonic floppy
thermaltake volcano 6
liteon 32x burner
liteon 16x dvd rom
logitech cordless freedom optical combo.
all total $1200.
about what I expected.
they hooked it up really fast, started to encounter problems and had to leave to drop Lex off at the bus (I live in Canyon Meadows, she lives in Beddington and the busses quit soon)
so I'm using my new keyboard with old computer, and new computer is sitting off to the side. I'm curious!! :)
one problem now!! I need a new chair and desk. typing and mousing is uncomfortable. suggestions? staples, ikea, home depot and office depot? costco? I'm open to everything. using an old POS that a buddy borrowed for me.
tomorrow they will come back and finish everything.
how did I do?? mem express didn't price match however the prices were respectible ... all cables and stuff were included. video has a 30 day warranty on it cause apparently the MSI is disco. should I inquire about the 4200 and get an exchange?? the vid card was 200 even. ??
thanks for your input!! :)
now I have to figure out what all these buttons on my keyboard are for... I think I have IE and winamp controls... very cool... :) just hope I dont hit the volume by accident and mess things up... hehehe
thanks for all your help gang!! :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
D'oh you didn't get the Athlon 1800! Ah well. :)
Hmmm, I'd spring for the 4200 if possible ($300+ right?). I'd recommend the MSI GF3 if the buyer's budget is really tight, but if it isn't too much of an issue then go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks