What's new

Make $40,000 a year - What equipment to buy for vinyl setup? (1 Viewer)

bucktown

Auditioning
Real Name
Bucky
Hi to all,

I am very new at record collecting. But I want a good setup to make it worth it, especially for some of the 45rpm lp's I've picked up. Right now, I'm using the bare bones basics: an Audio Technica AT-LP60 (including cartridge and needle it came with) my girlfriend gave me for my birthday a year ago, two Polk TI-15 bookshelf speakers, and a Pioneer receiver (with no phono input) that I took from my brother's old basic 5.1 surround package, as well as using just standard speaker wire. When I listen to my vinyl records, I feel like it is definitely lacking, especially when compared to my 1993 Bang and Olufsen Beosystem 2500 cd player & speakers.

I'm willing to upgrade to better equipment. Just how much better and what brands or models? I make $40,000 a year, have no car payment or people to support, and pay $825 a month on rent. What is an appropriate or reasonable amount to spend on a good setup? Do I make enough to even afford a worthwhile system? Or do they simply cost too much and I should wait (hopefully) when I make more? I see such a range of options out there and so many different brands, it can be overwhelming. What are some worth getting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My opinion... Anything you can pay cash for. If you have to finance HT gear, you can't afford it. This opinion provided by a 40 something "old guy" who has already learned from previous mistakes. :) Although I have a decent collection, I'm not that big into vinyl so I can't make any specific recommendations. Stick around I'm sure you will get some good advice.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
From an old vinyl guy. Your choice of a turntable is less important than the Cartridge that you put in the tone arm. What you want to look for is a turntable that has an adjustable tone arm that can be balanced and then weighted to the weight specs of the cartridge. An adjustable speed control is also a very desirable feature.

Cartridges are electro mechanical devices like speakers and each brand will add their own color to the play back just as speakers do. Back in the old days Audo Technica, Shure, Pickering, and Stanton were the big players and each had their loyal fans.

I also agree with David that when it comes to audio and HT equipment "Cash has no enemies" you should never finance such purchases as they are luxury items. New equipment depreciates quickly and buying it on credit could easily put you upside down if you must sell.

bucktown

Auditioning
Real Name
Bucky
Thanks for the tips, Bill and David! I to this day have never financed anything (and always pay my credit card in full), and I think it would be a bad sign if I started with home stereo equipment (and my girlfriend would probably rip me a new one). What then is a good cartridge and receiver that I could afford on my salary? Also are my speakers fine? I feel like I'm not getting the fullness out of them that I would like, but am not sure if that's the speakers fault or another part of the setup.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Sorry Bucky

I cannot give you advise as the Audio Techica cartridge I have is over 25 years old and am sure it is no longer made. Before I got this one I liked the Shure V-15. It looks like they are both still in business but If you value your vinyl collection stay away from the cheep ones. Look for one that will track a 1 gram or less.

You can use your Pioneer receiver, but you are going to have to purchase a phono pre amp and then you can connect to one of your available inputs like Tape in or aux.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks