MAJORLY OT: Digruntled Cablevision Customers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 24, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I apologize for the Majorly off topic post, but you folks seem like a knowledgable group, so here goes [​IMG].
    For those in the NJ area, you know that we've been waiting YEARS for Cablevision to offer us the Digital Service, Modems and cable. After years of back promises, we finally seemed to be going somewhere in November when a cablevision worker came up to the house, saying that service would go out for 15 minutes while he worked on the wires, and that we could get the digital service as soon as December. OK, fine. Told him if I can wait three years, I can certainly wait a month.
    Come the end of January, nothing. All in all, that wouldn't be so bad. They've broken statements before, so why should it surprise me now? So, I get the mail today, open up the cablevision bill hoping to spot a notice about digital service, and find that they are raising the rates yet AGAIN, and giving the customers nothing new in return. No new channels, no new lineups, no new services, nothing. This has to be the third time in the last year rates are up, and now for the basic cable package, + HBO/Encore, is close to $55's total.
    We've been thinking about going to Satellite, but don't know if that's any better. So, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a forum we're disgruntled cable users can go to vent out their frustrations? [​IMG].
    Any help will be appreciated..

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, if you go a state north, you'll find areas like the suburbs of Albany where the local Cablevision branch was bought out by Time Warner, elliminating competition, raising prices, and making the analog service even shittier so that customers practically must switch to digital cable. That said, I couldn't live anymore without roadrunner. From long periods of grief, I found this page rather useful.

3. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

I feel for you Neal.

You're statement on the rising rates can pretty much be said for almost any cable company.

I am in no way defending Cablevision because I was a subscriber since they were known as TKR Cable. I had a problem with them about a year ago. I have never dealt with a bunch of condescending and not to mention rude people in my life! I have to admit that there were some nice people who answered the phone but about 80% of the people I dealt with had major attitudes. I started thinking that they called me with a problem! After weeks of dealing with these "people" I finally got a call from a supervisor, two weeks after I requested it.

I explained my situation, I was as calm and well mannered as I was with the operators. I didn't want to show any hostility because then he would believe that I was at fault. A few minutes into the conversation he said something about a two-way street and I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere. He said he had some complaints about me and I said something to the effect of "I'm surprised you didn't get more considering how many people were rude with me". He basically turned the conversation around on me and I just let it go and reduced my service to the bare bones because I was a renter and a satellite dish was out of the question. I am no longer a Cablevision subscriber.

So, if you are able, get a dish. You can find some good deals, no equipment to purchase, and pay about the same as you would cable and get more channels. The only thing is that bad weather affects satellite reception more than cable but that's a small price to pay.

4. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I am stuck with Cablevision as well. Here in Morris County we have the internet and digital channels..however NO HDTV from NYC. Of course, they have it in thier The Wiz stores.

The rate hike is to cover thier asses for buying all the stuff they did and the rebuild. Rates from the services..CNN, FOX, ESPN, etc. ..have not gone up that much at all.PLUS..for the commercial time they sell..thier clients are bigger and no doubt paying more than in house promos or local car dealers.

As for sat...it's cheaper depending on which you get. Dish may still have the 9 bucks a month for a year promo running..BUT you are limited re: recording one show/watching another and you have to pay a fee for each extra reciever.

No way out..cable sucks...sat is limited.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hmm, seems like it's a double edged sword either way you go, but I'm glad that I'm not the ONLY one that had trouble with the company. I used to joke that the reason they are delaying the digital service, is because they are two busy buying other services like the Wiz. Looks like there might be more truth to that statement than I thought after all.
    Didn't the government Deregulate the cable industry a while back? I.e. Little or no control over it a while ago? That might have been a big mistake, since customers seem to be getting the short end of the stick, and they arem aking us pay for their buisness discisions.
    As far as the first poster, yep, I did try their official page, but just got bak corporate BS as always. "We don't know when Digital Cable will be available in your area, but we expect it sometime in 2002". Same old response, they just changed the date [​IMG].
    Does anyone know what cable company services the Ocean County area down the Jersey Shore? If they are any better than Cablevision, we might not get a Satellite as planned, now that we have a year round, updated shore house..
    Thanks!

6. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I live in the same township as Scooter and we got our price increase letters a couple of days ago. Fortunately for me I only subscribe to the basic antenna hookup (about $9/month) but I pay $39.99 for Internet access.

I heard from one neighbor that Internet rates were going up but that wasn't addressed in the price increase letter. I heard from another neighbor who has the digital cable service that HDTV would be available in two months. I haven't been able to confirm either one of these because as Neil said their website offers no valuable information.

As for Satellite service, I have Dish Network and have been satisfied for the most part. There is HDTV content if you invest in the hardware (separate dish, receiver, compatible tv). Most channels look very good however the picture quality on the local channels leaves something to be desired. Do a search in the "DBS and Satellite Dish" area and you'll see what I mean.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

What I don't understand is how cable providers can be allowed to have a monopoly on service. IMO, there should be a requirement that cable companies set up a common, independent, not-for-profit company that delivers the connections to the houses, and then the content providers would compete for the customers' money (that's how local telephone access should work too, by the way, IMO...). Does it work like that in some areas?

/Mike

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    My friend Michelle lives in Monmouth County and she has comcast, I think! Not totally sure..but still crappy.

John..we have a similar setup..I got DISH for the CBS HDTV too. As far as HD on Cablevision..it's been over a year of "...in a coupla months". I'll believe it when I get to view it!