What's new

Major problem with r2/r4 B5 season 5? (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have just learned of a major problem with the r4 release of the fifth season of B5. The pre-credits sequence on the episode "The Fall Of Centauri Prime" has been omitted from the disc. I understand the episode had a "Previously on B5" introduction, which was cut from the disc. However, in removing that, they also cut the opening of the actual episode, so the episode opens with the show credits! They then seem to have adjusted the commentary so the commentary starts with JMS speaking about his intent making the episode.

I understand this is also the case for the r2 release (in fact, the person that alerted me to this problem had the r2 release).

I know that there were problems with the first season, where And The Sky Full Of Stars had a compressed picture for all effects shots. In that case, WB Australia refused to do a recall, even denying the presence of a problem, even though the UK distributors released corrected discs.

However, in this case, we actually have several minutes of the programme missing from the disc - you'll notice it runs for about 38 1/2 minutes, which is 3 minutes shorter than the usual run time. This is absolutely unacceptable. Does anyone know anything about this? Are there any plans for a recall?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I don't know of recall plans in the entire Region 2, but at least Warners in Germany have recognized the problem and have offered replacement discs. In a thread in a Finnish home theater forum, several people have reported success in obtaining corrected discs after initially receiving incomplete versions from Amazon.de.

Hopefully a replacement program will be offered in other countries as well. As far as I know, the Region 1 version is fine.

DimitrisKiminas

Auditioning
Yes, the R1 release is OK. I was extremely pissed off about this. I waited a whole year to by the R2 version, and what did I got? A butchered season. I immediately ordered both the R1 Season 5, the R1 Movies Boxed Set and R1 Crusade set and got done with it. No more waiting for the R2 version any more, these guys just don't deserve it.

Note that although the R1 Movies and Crusade set are coded "region free" (and I've heard so is the R1 seasons 1-4), the R1 version of Season 5 is coded "region 1".

BTW, the opening of "The Fall of Centauri Prime" is not the only thing missing from the R2/R4 versions, so is the proper credits sequence of "The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Mother". In the R1 version instead of the B5 logo in the opening credits, the logo of the Psi Corps is displayed, with "Trust the Corps" in big lettering under it. The B5 logo is shown at the end of the credit sequence, engraved on the station itself (instead of the "created by ..." message). In the R2/R4 version, the opening credits for this episode are the same with all the other episodes.

:frowning:

Dimitris

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the information.
I am going to go in to the store tomorrow and ask for contact information for Warners Australia/NZ. Hopefully, if they don't offer a replacement, which they really should, hopefully the fact that the product is demonstrably defective in manufacture (which can be shown from the VHS) will encourage the shop to give me a refund, even if it has been a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks