What's new

Major price drop on OOP Criterion´s Spellbound (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats not a price drop.
it's not even in print anymore.
that just a private seller selling it for a reasonable price.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Well it´s a price drop if you look at the prices people are trying to get both on Amazon and Ebay for this OOP.

Cheers
Maggi

Corey

Screenwriter
Well WB is releasing spellbound along with rebecca, notorious, and spellbound in the future, so i'm sure they'll do an excellent job.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Ok cool news for those who did not buy the criterion versions of the titles they released.
I´ve already bought the R2 version of Paradine Case so i´ll pass on this box unless there is a major PQ and Sound upgrade.
Which i doubt.

Cheers
Maggi

Corey

Screenwriter
i'll definately be buying the set since certain criterion titles are out-of-print and very expensive. i have very good confidence that the WB set will be just as good as the criterion set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Corey, I don't think WB is bringing this out. Barrie's list references MGM. The rumored releases of a few years ago were under the MGM banner as well. These got pulled for reasons that arent' entirely clear to me other than there apparently was some dispute over who actually had the home video rights to this. The BITS website even had cover art for these titles for awhile.

Steve

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious were all licensed by Criterion from the "American Broadcasting Companies, Inc." The first two were made for Selznick, the third for RKO (Selznick later apparently acquired the rights), and ABC subsequently bought the rights to all three somewhere along the way. Since Disney owns ABC, that leads me to believe that Disney owns the rights to these films (unless they've changed hands yet again), rather than MGM or Warner.

With respect to the "price drop" for the Criterion Spellbound among Amazon Marketplace sellers, I would only say that prices at Amazon Marketplace frequently go up and down for reasons other than classic supply and demand. And once one seller significantly reduces the price, others tend to follow suit. Prices can go down due to the presence of bootlegs, because a seller needs to sell an item quickly, or because a new release is on the horizon. In this case, I don't think the lower-price sellers have any inside info about an upcoming re-release of Spellbound (there are enough "insiders" on this board and others that such an upcoming release would've been already well-publicized).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

There seems to be some confusion about the dvd rights to these Hitchcock titles. First off, Warner doesn't own the rights to the titles mentioned in this thread. Secondly, some of these titles were licensed by Disney to both Criterion and Anchor Bay on previous dvd releases. These titles include Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound. Also, Anchor Bay released The Paradine Case on dvd. Criterion released The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps which were films Hitchcock directed before coming to America and working with Selznick.

The question remains whether Disney still has a licensing deal in place with MGM, in which case, MGM could be working on releasing these titles along with some of the Hitchcock titles they have dvd rights to. Don't know perhaps that's what Barrie has heard some talk about?

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks