What's new

Major League, Tading Places announced (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I am so pumped about Trading Places! One of my favorite comedies. Here's hoping that Paramount will give us a good transfer like they did with Airplane...another great early '80's comedy.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The widescreen laserdisc of Trading Places has a "Some Music Has Been Changed" notice on the back cover. I have the CED videodisc and there is no disclaimer, but the end credits were completely redone on video (30 frames per second), probably to change the song listings.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow...CED, now that's devotion :)
Can't wait for this title...just watched it on TV the other day.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Does the lack of extras on Trading Places mean we ought to wait for the SE or CE next year?

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'm bummed they are doing a commentary for Boomerang but not Trading Places. :frowning:
I would have loved to hear Dan Akroyd and Jamie Lee at least, if Eddie was unavailable.
It's sad that Denholm Elliot, Don Ameche, and Ralph Bellamy are all dead. They were absolutely great in this film.
Didn't NBC (or some other network) recently air a Trading Places half-hour special before the showing of the movie? I'm surprised they didn't try to put that on there.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what's especially dissapointing about the bare bones Major League is that the japanese R0 DVD, which has been out for a while, has supplements. i forget what exacltly, but it included a featurette.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
No way am I buying a bare bones Major League. I'll stick with my VHS copy. I would like to have the OAR, but not for the price and certainly not for no special features at all. Sorry Paramount. You'll have to do better.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
" Man, if we wanted bubbles we had to fart in the tub"- Eddie Murphy in Trading Places.

" He's wearing my Harvard tie! Like, sure, He went to Harvard" - Dan Ackroyd TP

" I can see...I..have legs...Praise Jesus!" -Eddie Murphy TP

Matthew H

Second Unit
Major league and TP are two of my all-time favorites, so I'll buy them just to see them in their OAR (although for $24.95, a few extras wouldn't hurt :angry: ).

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
With regards to the music of TRADING PLACES, I believe the end title music was "rescored" for home video release.

It's been so long since I watched a home video version, but I do remember "Get A Job" playing on cable during the end credits. I distinctly remember seeing the cheesy video-generated credits (also seen on Paramount's BABY, IT'S YOU video release) on the home video version. The IMDb does not give definitive information, but I think a replacement song was used for the end credits ("Get A Job").

Some TP junkie must have a definitive answer for us. We'll see if the original music is restored to the new DVD.

On the same topic, here are some other Paramount titles which have been released on video, at some point, with alternate/"rescored" music:
AIRPLANE!
BABY, IT'S YOU
FRENCH POSTCARDS
TRADING PLACES
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
LITTLE DARLINGS
AIRPLANE II

All of these titles were issued by Paramount on VHS/Laser with the "Some music has been changed for the home video version of this title." disclaimer at one point or another.

Jon

Jodee

Screenwriter
No way am I buying a bare bones Major League. I'll stick with my VHS copy. I would like to have the OAR, but not for the price and certainly not for no special features at all.
I doubt anyone will have to pay $24.95 for this title. It's already available for pre-order at DVD Empire for $16.24 and I'm sure the B&Ms will similarly discount it the week of release.

I think an OAR release of a great movie on DVD is worth $16.

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to "Trading Places" too.

To add to the above list, another title that has music altered for the DVD version is Haskell Wexler's "Medium Cool."

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paramount seems to do a lot of bare bones releases. Major League was a long time in coming. Was looking forward to at least SOME extras. Too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks