What's new

Major League Baseball 2001: a milestone recap (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Surprisingly, one record that hasn't been mentioned yet is Joe Dimaggio's 56-consecutive-game hitting streak in 1941. This obviously only takes one season to do (so it's "soft") but it's lasted 60 years. If I recall, the closest anyone ever came to this was Pete Rose with a 42 game streak. This is one that, when considered, seems to be one that will stand for quite some time to come.
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

MikeM

Screenwriter
Good point. The closest guy to that streak that I can actually remember was Paul Molitor in 1987 who had a 39 game hitting streak. Even that was incredible, but 56 games? That's really going to be next to impossible to beat....that, and Rickey Henderson's 130 stolen bases in one season.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
- Roger Clemens moves into 3rd place among the all time strikeout leaders, behind only Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton, leapfrogging over 5 players over the course of the season.
He also had the best start ever to a season at 20-1.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

David Oliver

Second Unit
Another notable accomplishment: The Milwaukee Brewers became the first team in MLB history to have more strikeouts than hits. Rod Carew was their hitting coach, even. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks