Major John Ford Silent Picture coming to R2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, May 23, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I found this over at www.r2-dvd.org that The Iron Horse from John Ford made in 1925 is coming to Region on June 24.
    I don't know if this has been released in the States
    Here is the intro
    This restored version was prepared by Photoplay Productions for Channel Four Silents, and features a new score composed and conducted by John La.nchbery, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic. The film is presented 1.33:1 and is black/white and tinted. The release is priced at £19.99.
    For the rest head to http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4119
    Oscar Merkx

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

As an added note, Photoplay Productions is Kevin Brownlow, who has an excellent reputation for meticulous restorations. This should easily be worth purchasing sight-unseen; I know I'm going to do so.

3. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

I also am enthusiastic about this release and other "old" titles coming on Region 2 in the near future. See my comments in the following thread (as nobody had bothered to reply back then, I thought of posting again here!):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=68975

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Mark // Roderick
    Thanks for your info, have you guys any idea if there is a website dedicated to Kevin Brownlow or his company and what else he has restored.
    Oscar Merkx
    [​IMG]

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I don't know if there is a website for Brownlow or Photoplay, but he has been a major player in silent film for decades. He wrote one of the seminal works on the silent cinema, The Parade's Gone By, where he collected his interviews with the silent stars. He is largely responsible for the restoration of the 1927 Abel Gance Napoleon (though Coppola takes all the credit in the US), an ongoing project that I think has been occupying him for 30 years or more. He's also done a Phantom of the Opera restoration that Kino will be releasing on DVD in region 1 in the next few months. I know there are many more, but these are at the top of my mind right now.

Brownlow has also done major documentaries on DW Griffith, Keaton, Chaplin and others, as well as Cinema Europe and Hollywood. These air regularly on TCM and are very much worth watching.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've always wanted to see The Iron Horse. Any news on a Region 1 release?

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    This is indeed good news. I hope it will be released in region 1. I taped it a couple of years ago from AMC (before they made their pact with the Devil), misplaced it, found it recently and have watched it twice in the last two weeks. It's terrific! Anyone who has never seen a silent film because they're "boring" should see this one.

8. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Claes / Mark

Thanks a lot for the update and I will have a look at the website late

10. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I thought Iron Horse was 1918? Dang I really really want to see this, where do I find out where to get a good multi region player?

Adam

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor