Major irritation with 60's and 70's flicks: so-called party dance music...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dick, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    In nearly all 60's and 70's films that feature a party sequence with "dance" music in the background (as source music, not as played by a live band), the music simply SUCKS. It is nothing more than so-called "rock and roll music" composed and recorded by people who were totally clueless about rock and roll, melody, and arrangements, and is tuneless drek that is completely interchangable with the party dance music from other movies of its day. And the worst part is...much of this was scored by such luminaries as Elmer Bernstein and Jerry Goldsmith and, yes, even John Williams, who had composed the remaining non-dance portions of these scores with their usual genius. What a contrast! I can't imagine any teenager even in the 60's dancing to those "tunes" without throwing up. When they appeared on the soundtrack albums, which they often did, they interrupted the orchestral flow of the rest of the score, and I would lift the stylus and move to the next track. Now with CD's, these abortive attempts at a music style these otherwise brilliant composers simply could not grasp can be programmed out, thank God!

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

An example would be nice [​IMG]

--
    H

3. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Eh? [​IMG]

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I hope you don't mean those Mancini movies?

[​IMG]