What's new

MAJOR distortion from VCR....any ideas? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I'm getting massive amounts of distortion while watching movies on 'gasp' my VCR. Here's the setup:

VCR via coax to TV, TV fixed out to receiver via analog RCA connection. VCR only has mono audio out, no stereo. Would I better off running the mono into the receiver and bypassing the TV altogether? I almost hate to watch VHS movies due to the fact that I'm araid the distortion will end up damaging my speakers. It would also be cumbersome to go through and turn on the TV speakers every time I want to watch something on VHS (not to mention the fact that it won't sound real good). I hava a small fortune invested in VHS movies, and sometimes I can't find what I want on DVD rental...

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Do you have a stereo option on your TV enabled? It should be in with the speaker on/off setting. Running stereo can cause distortion without the right setup. Enabling your TV speakers should not introduce distortion and may give you a fuller soundstage.

Question: you are an old VHS fan and you don't have a Hi-Fi VCR? C'mon...at todays prices?

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I believe that stereo is enabled, should I set it to mono?

I haven't purchased a new VCR because that's one more thing to get approved from the better half...

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello John,

Understand about the better half.

Yes, I think you should turn off the stereo setting on your TV. See if it helps. I know when I loop TV sound through my receiver I have to take stereo off as there is too much competing signal, whether from TV broadcasts or stereo VHS.

Paul

Jeff Thorstad

Auditioning
I'd just like to point out that quite decent stereo VCRs now cost less than a pair of shoes, 3 months worth of dog food, 3 trips to the movie theater, dinner for 2 at a nice place, etc.

If there was ever a piece of equipment that could get through the approval process without too much trouble, this is it.

I only say this because going from DVDs in surround to tapes in mono must really hurt. In the meantime, bypass the TV with the audio output straight to the receiver would be my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks