Major Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ToddJ, Dec 12, 2003.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I recently had a problem with my second hard drive not working....while trying to fix that I think I wrecked my memory (I believe I bumped it.) So I first replaced it with a smaller amount of memory (that I borrowed from my roommate.)Then when my computer would boot up, it would stop and say "CPU is Unworkable" it then tells me to press F1 to continue...I do, but the computer boots up at only half the speed (500 mhz as opposed to its normal 1 ghz.) When I try to restart the computer and adjust the speed in the BIOS to the default speed, it doesn't boot up at all. I then have to reset the CMOS jumper and start over again. I have tried a different video card and a different power supply. I have a Abit KT7A motherboard with a AMD Athlon 1 ghz processor with Windows 2000. Yesterday, I replaced the memory with PC 133 256mb thinking that it would remedy the problem, but it hasn't. AND it seems that I have the latest BIOS update as well...any other ideas?

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Look and make sure all the caps on the board are flat or concave; if any appeared bowed upwards, they are "popped" and the board is SOL. While your memory could be bad, the best way to test is to get a memory tester utility (http://www.memtest86.org/)

Anyway, those would be things I would check [​IMG]

Then I would ask in the computer forum [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Presto! Chango-O! Now it is!

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Gotta agree with Chris. Sounds like the board may be pooched. Hard to say without seeing it though.

5. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

How could I have damaged the motherboard though?

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    There was a widespread problem with poorly designed capacitors being installed into 1000's of motherboards. IIRC, the problem was caused by some sort of corporate espionage (with the capacitor maker) and many motherboard manufacturers got burned. All of their MBs from these production lots are destined to fail...

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I don't think that popped caps will make a drive vanish in Windows, but show up in DOS.

Haven't had my caffiene yet. Bear with me?[​IMG]

There is another thread here with basically the same problem, so I'm going to post there too.

I turn my PC off every night, and twice this week Windows has had to check a disk for errors before it loaded up. This is on my physical 'D' drive.

I think in both of these physical vrs virtual wasn't mentioned, but is crutially important. I'm running XP and I have a feeling that it just needs to be reload.

Oh, and in IE, when I click to go to some of these pages and then scroll up, I Can see the threads on my left, but when I go over to click on one, the page snaps back down to the bottom of the page.

These would both be software problems. No, I haven't loaded up anything new in months, except for Norton AV & Firewall. Do you guys have that too?

Glenn

8. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I think mine is a BIOS problem...supposedly my comp[uter is going at full speed, but the BIOS says that it is going at 500 mhz. And my 200gb hard drive won't register. when I try to install it via the IDE card, it tries to boot up then crashes....which might be a separate problem or part of the same...should I get a bigger power supply.