Major cause of distortion?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bill_Wil, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

First of all I wasnt sure what area to post this in so if I chose the wrong area please move me to the right one. Thanks!

I was just listening to one of my favorite music DVD's, Norah Jones: Live in New Orleans, and at one point there was this screachy distortion when her voice went a little higher. It was like scratching my fingernails on the chalkboard. My first thought was that it was my center speaker so I unhooked it and hooked up my old one. Same distortion. So then I played it in two channel stereo and I could hear it in my front speakers as well so it wasnt a problem with my center. So whats the most common source of distortion? Would it be the DVD itself? The receiver? The DVD player? If you have any ideas let me know. Also if anyone owns this DVD could you check it out for me? Its during Cold, Cold Heart at the 3:42 mark. I wasn't playing it real loud either. The volume was at 21 and for reference volume (or 75db) it would be around 31 so I was well under that. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if they hear it as well. Thanks!!

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I have heard that there is distortion recorded onto dvds occasionally. I have not heard the Norah dvd but if the distortion only happens at one time and not on different types media then it must be the dvd and not your equipment IMO. I know it can be frustrating.

3. James USAF

James USAF Agent

I know exactly what you are talking about Bill and I have the same problem as well. [​IMG]

So I think it narrows it down to the DVD...glad to see someone else have the problem.

4. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that its just a problem with the DVD and not my system.

James, thanks for verifying it on your DVD and thanks even more for serving our country. [​IMG]