Major Cat/Kitty problems!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I had to bring my two cats (Big Kitty and Lil Kitty) with me to my parents house (hopefully the duration of stay will be like 2 months) and my parents already have two adult male cats. Well Lil Kitty just got neutered and his front paws declawed (yes it's lame I know, but I had to get it done and I feel really bad about having to put him through that) and now he's in new territory, so he has been in hiding for the past 24 hours. Now Big Kitty is a very social cat and he loves to roam and see new people/animals. Here is where the problem starts:

My parents cat (my old cat from several years ago that they loved too much to give back to me), Andrew, is in a real foul mood by this whole situation. He is howling and hissing, even when there are no other cats in the room. He took a huge chunk out of my hand while I was petting him (I assume that he is also pissed at me for bringing on this horrible situation). He is being very loud and territorial. He gets along fine with my parents other cat, Maynard, but the mere sight of the other cats pisses him right the hell off. And yes, my parents have cats named Maynard (my dad named him) and Andrew (I named him)!

It's all silly and crazy right now, but what I am really concerned with is Lil Kitty. He IS my baby and I am over-protective of him. I feel real bad that he had to go through traumatizing surgery and the next day have to go through this huge change in enviornment. I am also afraid that Andrew won't let it go and try to attack Lil Kitty. Also, Big Kitty is hissing and growling as well and even tried to punch Lil Kitty (they have gotten along since I introduced Lil Kitty to Big Kitty and they are real buddies, I'd hate to see them lose that bond.

Here is another bit o' information: When my wife had to move out of her dad's house she gave Big Kitty to "the cat lady" who had 78 cats living in her house. Big Kitty was traumatized by all of this and he began to beat up the other cats. Well, "the cat lady" wouldn't allow that so she kept Big Kitty locked in this little laundry room day and night and never let him out for 3 or 4 months. Janna (my wife) got him back when we moved to Kalamazoo and he got much better. Well, now my situation has changed and she wanted to get rid of him... again. I did not want that to happen so I decided to keep Big Kitty, especially since him and Lil Kitty get along so well.

Four cats in this house is a lot, but it is only a temporary situation. I just hope my kitties can hold out for that long. Wish us luck because they're going to need. My poor lil guys. And when I was driving them to Grand Haven (an hour and a half drive) they cried they WHOLE way here. I felt very bad for them.

Well, that's my cat problem/story. I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just wanting to get my story told, but I'll accept advice if anyone wants to give it.

Take care.

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

That's rough Brad. I think you and the kitties have an unpleasant two months ahead of you. And you are definitely going to have to separate Lil Kitty from the rest. Without his claws he simply cannot take part of the normal spitting/hissing/clawing that takes place as the cats figure out who's who in the new scheme of things. And yes, two cats that get along fine can start fighting when transplanted to a new place. Their whole world has changed and it takes time, growls, and swats to set things back to normal. And some cats hold a grudge over the change far longer than others.

3. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Thanks for your input Julie. I knew I could count on at least one person here with some kitty knowledge.

Here is an update so far. Lil Kitty is still skiddish, but venturing out a little bit more. Big Kitty is being very friendly with the Lil Kitty again (he started grooming him) and he stopped his random hissing. The two other cats are still upset that there are other kitties invading their territory, but it's decreased in frequency.

I think the next couple of months will be interesting to watch the four cats at work, but hopefully no real harm will be done. Lil Kitty seems to be hiding a lot so I think he'll do okay. My parents spoil their cats by feeding them Fancy Feast all the time, so my kitties are really enjoying that.

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Expect the resident cats to demonstrate their dominance to the newbies. This usually takes the form of "litter box wars" and urinating or spraying around the house.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    We had a similar situation with a new kitten being introduced to an old cat's territory. We asked the vet the best way to do this and he suggested the "slow integration" method.

Basically, you keep them separate initially and gradually let them be together for longer periods of time. It took a solid month, but now they now play together and even sleep next to eachother.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Thanks for the interesting thread everyone. Our (well, I think its safe to call my fiancee's cat 'ours' now, given that its normally me that gets slept on all night [​IMG] ) little Katy seems bored when we're out at work all day, so we're considering getting her a little friend to play with after we move to a bigger house, but how to safely introduce a new pal without causing too much offence has been a bit of a dilemma!

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Brad,
    I would make sure that Big Kitty and Little Kitty have their own litter boxes, the same way they were set up before.
    Other than that, one of two things will likely happen over the next week or two: They will either learn to get along with the other cats or they'll find places to hide on their own.
    Even my kitty compadres, Eddie and Velcro, fought like crazy when they first met. Now they groom each other. [​IMG]
    Definitely keep them, though. Giving them away would be even more traumatic for them.
    Oh, and pay lots of attention to them...certainly more than you do the other cats, otherwise they may get jealous.

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I think they will do just fine now. They aren't all getting along, but my two cats are and my parents two cats are. To me, that's all that matters because the duration of stay will hopefully only be two months, possibly three months. Both of my cats follow me around where ever I go (which is extremely cute I think) and even Lil Kitty is getting used to hanging out in the open. Of course he cries if he doesn't see me for a while, but I think he get over that in a week or two. They do have their own litter boxes and I am even thinking about buying another one. I am sure it won't hurt to have three litter boxes for four cats.

When I introduced Lil Kitty to Big Kitty in April it only took one full day before they started getting along. I am glad that this relationship will preserve while I am here.

Thanks for the support.

Rain, I have told you how much I enjoy the name "Velcro" for a cat? Very cool.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

A great story and a frickin' adorable cat!!!

11. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

A few years ago, my sister mover into my apt (with her 2 cats) while she was looking for her own apartment. I also have 2 cats. Needless to say, there were alot of sleepless nites, alot of hairballs floating around, but we all survived it.

She may be in for some payback soon, as my kitchen gets renovated I may take mine to her apartment for a few weeks.

12. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

My sister-in-law gradually accumulated about 4 cats...then she moved into a house with a feline resident (the owner was going to put the cat to sleep if she hadn't agreed to keep it). Shortly after this, the spray wars began. Those cats (who are all female) managed to get almost everything in that house at least once. The cat who won the dominance wars was the one who (I suspect) got the toaster. My sister-in-law had a baby shortly after they moved into the house, & I kept waiting for one of the cats to "mark" him so they could have an excuse to get rid of a couple.

13. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Damn Rain your cat is so cute. I need to get a pic of my cat going up here she rules.