What's new

Major black level/brightness change with digital programs (1 Viewer)

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I'm using a Samsung SIR-T150 STB with a Sony 36XBR450 monitor. Whenever a widescreen digital picture is shown, there is a major change in the black level of the picture. Dark areas get exceedingly dark, washing out details. A major change in the brightness setting is necessary to overcome this. But even then, it does not completely fix the problem. When non-widescreen commercials are shown throughout a program, the black levels revert to normal. What's happening here? Is it "normal"....my TV?...the STB?

Thanks for any assistance!

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I've got the Samsung 150 and a 32XBR450. You're correct, there's a big black level change in HD. When I had my XBR calibrated, Chuck Williams told me to decrease conrast and increase color when watching HD. He's right, of course.

And commercials are not broadcast in HD, so that's why they look different.

-Erik

Steve_AA

Agent
I've got a Tosh DST-3000 hooked to a RP HDTV and the same thing occurs with this setup. This 'increased black' problem has been discussed on another forum(I don't know if it's proper to mention which one) and in a nutshell: much of the problem depends upon the HD source material.

Apparently HD from a film source tends to have this increased black level, whereas HD from a video source does not(or at least much less so). Good example: when watching JAG, when the Jag officers are wearing their 'dress blues' it is really difficult to see any detail in the fabric of the uniform..lapels, etc. If you can catch CBS's "It's all here" promo spot(which is shot in video HD) you can now see a lot of the detail in the actors' Jag uniform 'dress blues'.

Since HD transfered from film is the main problem child, it would seem that some adjustments to filming in HD are going to be necessary from the production end in order to rectify this situation. This is all still in its infancy. I hope they start making adjustments soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks