What's new

Maintaining balance with a creative career (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
This topic might seem a bit meandering, but it’s something that I’ve been thinking about a lot over the past few months. I’ll give a bit of background on myself to begin.

I graduated from a film production program at University in April, so this is the first time in my life that I haven’t been “back to school”. In my final year of school I directed a 16mm short film that won several awards, and my ultimate goal is to write and direct feature films. Unfortunately, I haven’t reached the point where I’m being paid to do that. After graduation I took a job as technical coordinator at a well known Canadian film facility, because it’s related to what I want to do, and I need some way of paying my rent. It’s a decent job, however it sometimes feels like I’m taking myself away from my real goals. As I said, this is the first time I’ve ever worked “full time” and I’m a bit shocked as to how much of your life 40 hours a week really is. Maybe I’m naïve, but it feels like my productivity and energy for non-work projects has dropped since I got out of school.

I recently started writing my second feature-length screenplay, and I’m trying to find funding for a short film that I wrote. I’m trying to build up my portfolio of writing so I’ll be able to approach literary agents and hopefully get representation soon. Still, some part of me feels like I could be doing more.

Are there other members who work “creative” jobs where the work is sporadic? How did you cope at the beginning when it came to balancing your 9 to 5 job with what you actually wanted to be doing?

Thanks,

Bob

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I can't help much in the creative dept - but I can say that nearly any successful businessman (which you will be) started with making tremendous sacrafices. Hard work, long hours.

I would suggest you make a dedicated place where you go to do your creative work - preferably not at home. Rent a small office or borrow one. Make a space at the library or local university.

If you must, then dedicate a place in your home where NOTHING else can be done. No games, no reasding, no eating, sleeping or anything else but work.

Good luck.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I also suggest attending small film festivals, like the Calgary Film Festival, where mere mortals like you and me can walk up to the director or the producer and ask for advice.

As for making mends meet...well, that's a tough one. I'd love to do work on Machinima, but when you use computers all day at work, it is the last thing on my mind when I get home. Keeping focus is tough!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks