What's new

Mainstreaming widescreen (1 Viewer)

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I honestly can't think of a Disney animated title that was released in both 16x9 and 4x3 versions... The Pixar titles have been (though I don't know if the Toy Stories were) and they made a big deal about Pixar re-working the scenes so you don't miss any action.

The only Disney animated film I can think of that even had Dual ARs was Brother Bear, and neither of those ARs were 4X3... there was the version that was 2.35:1, but started pillarboxed, and then opened up to the full width matching its theatrical exhibition, and then a version that was just 1.66:1, the standard CAPS ratio. I am not sure if the 2.35 version was matted from 1.66, or if the 1.66 version is cropped.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

Actually Ira, I meant to say where it says "Widescreen" or "Full Screen" now it should say Original Aspect Ratio. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
This situation applies even to brand new films. The upcoming release of David LaChapelle's documentary film Rize, which came out earlier this year, will be released in 1.33:1, and since it's a modern film, many will no doubt be under the impression that its OAR was 1.85:1. Well, I saw the film theatrically, and it was projected in 1.33:1/1.37:1, so the DVD will be in OAR. But I'm sure there will be a review or two of the DVD that decries the perceived lack of a widescreen transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks