Mainstreaming widescreen

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joseph DeMartino, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Interesting article, at least until this bit of idiocy:

Er, Cinderella will sell 100% in fullscreen, since the 1950 film was released in the 1.37:1 Academy ratio and as far as I know never had a widescreen release - in any medium. [​IMG] You'd think someone who writes for Video Business would understand that with the Disney classics their being among "the broadest releases" may simply be skewing the stats in the direction of fullscreen because that's the native aspect ratio of the films and therefore they won't have a widescreen release.

Regards,

Joe

2. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Well, this shows why we really need to change our way of talking. At least personally, I usually talk about widescreen being better, but in truth, I want to support Original Aspect Ratio. If the OAR is 1:33 or 1:37, than widescreen is bad. I also think that "Standard" should be used instead of fullscreen, since "fullscreen" DVD's no longer fit my screen. I think the proliferation of widescreen tv's is a great thing, but for a while it might make it even more confusing for Joe6Pack, who will now want all movies to perfectly fill his new widescreen.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Yeah, I had to laugh out loud when I read that part of the article.

Crawdaddy

4. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Eh, I guess I'm a bit worried about those remaining 25% of the Cinderella sales...

When will they ever learn - that OAR is the important thing, not WS.

For "those people" who are concerned about filling the screen, be it a 4:3 or a 16:9, there should have been an easy-to-use stretch/squeeze/fill-all button so there would be no need for the MAR versions.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I think they just left out a comma before such as, since they were just referring to big selling titles.

As for fullscreen outselling widescreen, not a surprise because when a title becomes a big seller, it usually sells beyond the Circuit Cities and Best Buys, so you can find them in gas stations and drug stores. So, for those titles, the people who know nothing of the differences stock mainly the full screen versions. After that, someone seeing it on the shelf, who also doesn't know the difference, picks up the full screen version and adds to the sale numbers.

6. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

About the comma, in theory you could be right. But Cinderella would still be a bad example in that particular sentence.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

In fact, there are two missing commas - nobody in the media can write or edit anymore - but putting them in does not alter the meaning. It should read:

"...though the broadest releases, such as Buena Vista Home Entertainment's Oct. 4 Cinderalla, still sell 75% in fullscreen versions."

The fact is the author is clearly citing Cinderella as a particular instance of the general phenomenon of "the broadest releases" seling at a 75/25 fullscreen/widescreen split. Adding the missing commas does nothing to mitigate this. Obviously the writer didn't bother consulting the actual Cinderalla stats and just plugged in the title assuming it would match the release pattern of Disney DVDs of much more recent films that were released in both fullscreen and widescreen. Sloppiness and carelessnes with the facts are also common in the media these days, so no real surprise their, either.

Regards,

Joe

8. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering, if the Cinderella DVD is fullscreen only because of it's OAR, then where did he get the 75% number from. Surely it sold 100% full screen if that's all there is. Perhaps he pulled the number out of his .... well you know where.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
  10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Changing directions slightly, I'm alternately amused/saddened/frustrated by some customer reviews I read on Amazon.com in which the reviewer plaintively asks why [insert title of pre-1953 Academy-ratio film here] isn't available in widescreen.

We may have trained some people too well. [​IMG]

11. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

They should change the Widescreen/Full Screen lables on the covers of the movies.

The covers should say..... Original Aspect Ratio (in place of Widescreen of course) and Modified (in place of Full Screen).

That should make people understand the differences.

Disney did a great job in the pamphlets for its recent Platinum releases (Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King) on the reason the movie is only available in its OAR (see I already started, [​IMG]).

12. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

I don't think so, Paul. If the OAR were 1.33, 1.37 or 1.66 to 1, then the OAR was NOT widescreen.
    The covers should say "Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio" if that is what is being reproduced on the DVD and "Modified" otherwise. (Keep in mind that the OTAR may be different from the OAR intended or desired by the creators.) It would also be nice if the covers indicated what the modification was.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

5:3 is widescreen. At least NHK says it is -- that was their original choice for the HiVision ratio, before 16:9 was developed as a compromise between Academy and Cinemascope. Not very wide, maybe, but wider than Academy Ratio.

14. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

Of course it is. See Dr Strangelove 40th Anniversary Edition or The Lion King.

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    To her very great credit Susanne Ault replied to my e-mail on this subject with a "thank you" for pointing out the mistake and a promise to get the on-line version of the article corrected. Very classy.

Usually that sort of e-mail gets a surly, hostile or defensive reply. (And often one that is all three. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Forgetting the Cinderella goof, how accurate is the statement, anyway? How many of Disney's widescreen animated SEs get separate widescreen and fullscreen releases? If a separate fullscreen transfer even exists, isn't it usually in the same set as the widescreen transfer, anyway?

(And the studios that originated the 1.66:1 AR in the early-to-mid 50s sure acted like it was widescreen...)

DJ

17. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

OK, change my "If the OAR were 1.33, 1.37 or 1.66 to 1, then the OAR was NOT widescreen" statement to "If the OAR were 1.33 or 1.37 to 1, then the OAR was NOT widescreen."

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

There are two versions of the Cinderella DVD. There's the Platinum Edition, and the Platinum Edition Collector's Gift Set. Maybe that's where the 75/25 split is.

19. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah I see now. Another reason I have zero Disney DVD's in my collection

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

No, she indicated in her e-mail that my guess was right and she had just assuned Cinderella, as a "family" release, would follow the typical 75/25 full-frame/widescreen split. She had forgotten that the film had an OAR of 1.37:1 - and that many other family releases did as well, making the underlying math suspect.

Regards,

Joe