1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Mains upgrade in a nOrh 4.0 system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron S, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently running 5 nOrh 4.0's in an HT setup with an Onkyo 696 and SVS 20-39 cylinder/Samson 700 package. This has opened my ears to how good speakers can really sound, having had off the shelf "systems" until this point.
    After upgrading my DVD player to a new Pioneer universal unit, I am finding that some of the "oomph" in the lower frequencies are lacking on some SACD/DVD-A titles, even with the speakers set to small and levels calibrated decently.
    Would an upgrade to a set with more range to use as the mains help fix this? And more importantly, which set for the mains would you consider a good choice to replace them with? Would still prefer to keep the center and surrounds, as they seem adequate enough for their purposes.
    Should I stick to nOrh models to try an retain some semblance of "matching" sonic abilities to mesh with the center/surrounds? Or are there other good/better choices that would pair well with the 3 I plan to keep? Am willing to go up to 2000 a pair (not set in stone, or synthetic marble, hehe). Am simply looking for suggestions on speakers to try out, with a full enough range to produce a better overall soundstage and power. BM is hard to do well on the 696 and 47Ai units [​IMG] Paradigm, B&W, Seem to get good press. Any particular models or alternatives out there?
    Lastly, if I *did* upgrade to a set of mains, would a dedicated 2 channel amp be a neccessary thing to drive them adequately? Seems to be so many options...
    Woud appreciate the input of those with more experience than I!
    Ron

2. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I have the identical speaker setup and have been VERY pleased. The issue with upgrading is timbre matching the front speakers. If you stick with nOrh and go with the 6.9, 7.0 or 9.0s the all have the same tweeter but different from the 4.0 and 5.1s. I would think for best results and seamless panning with 5.1 DD/DTS material your better off upgrading all three speakers. You may also want to move the left and right 4.0's to the rear for 6.1/7.1 audio if and when you have a processor capable. Just my $0.02.

3. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Terry, it is an awesome setup for HT, no? [​IMG]
    Beautiful sounding, seamless pans, sounds great from *anywhere* in the room, not just in front of the sweet spot. The SVS accompanies the 4.0's beautifully.
    I'm not sure that the 6.9's, 7.0's, or even 9.0's would have enough bass down low to really do justice to music by themselves. The sub isn't going anywhere (hehe), but I think a set of mains that can handle all but the really low stuff well is a desirable option. Plus, three 9.0's (ouch!), besides being expensive, would pose serious design problems. My center is sitting on top of the RPTV. Seems ok, but I fear anything significantly heavier would not be an option. Hanging would be an awfully tough job, as there are dropped ceilings.
    Already thought of the 7.1 possibilities, one reason that upgrading only the mains seems such a good fit [​IMG]
    No other options? Anyone?

4. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I also had the 4.0 ceramic system. Looking at what you have, I would use the Onkyo as a preamp, and buy a 5 channel amp. I used the Harman Kardon 2.1 signature amp, which I got for $400.00 used. I hate to say this, but if I were you, I would start all over on the speakers. The Norh's are very detailed, and worth the money, but they sounded grainy to me. If you want to stick with Norh, buy the 5 channel amp, and upgrade to the 6.9 SM for the front 2 channels. This will give you a signifigant improvement. I would not use the Onkyo at all for music.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Ron,

Perhaps the problem isn't with the speakers at all. Sounds like a problem began with addition of the new player. That being the case, perhaps adding in an Outlaw ICBM would be the way to go.