What's new

Mains to use in JBL setup?? (1 Viewer)

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the JBL NSP-1 speaker package. I'm going to use 2 N24s as side surrounds and the other pair of N24s as rear surrounds. What should I use as mains? N26s? N28s? Will these speakers match well with the N center and N24s?? What about the Studio series? Can I use a pair of S26s?

Thanks alot.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I've done a fair amount of listening to the N and S series latetly and I "REALLY" wanted to end up with either the S38 or one of the smaller N models.

However, in a side by side comparison I just can't justify going small on the mains. You just lose too much presence in my opinion. If you don't have the room, you're stuck. I was in a position to make room for the larger speakers but I was trying to avoid making space for them. My ears simply won't let me go small on the mains. I beleive there is an N series equivalent to the S312's I've decided on......Hope this helps.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Each JBL Series, N & S respectably, is 'timbre matched' via the High Frequency Driver within each Series line & across the Entire Series line (from the lowest model offering, to their top line flagship model). So, to maintain the designed intent of 100% 'timbre matched' seamless surround sound, . . . JBL recommends that you mix and match speakers 'within' your chosen Series.
FYI: Northridge Series - High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide. (quotes from dba newsline)
The Studio Series' tweeter features JBL's latest-generation titanium drivers, with a dome and surround formed from a single lightweight, rigid titanium sheet for exceptional transient response and clarity and accurate reproduction of high frequencies up to 27kHz. The tweeter operates in conjunction with a unique Elliptical Oblate Spheroid™ (EOS) waveguide that delivers the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization. By virtually eliminating side-wall reflections and their resulting sonic colorations, this "room-friendly" design delivers more accurate sound that is closer to the real-life sound heard in the concert hall, and re-creates the acoustic environment captured on the original recording.
So many friends and relatives just marvel at the JBL NSP1's (sub AudioSource SW15) Dynamic seamless 360° effects @ room/air rocking REF Level from my DD/DTS 5.1 Demo & Movies! ;)
Phil

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I guess its between the N26s and N28s then. They're nearly the same price... Which would you guys recommend?

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
n26 all the way. They are great speakers for the price. JandR.com has them for $139 shipped plus there a authorized dealer. If you find them lower somewhere else, Jandr will match there price. Great service!!

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Hey Phil.......Officially welcome me to the JBL Ranks. Just picked up a pair of S312's and an Scenter today from Best Buy.....Had a free shipping and 1/2 price sale I couldn't resist. I also wanted to get the I's before the two's completely replace them as I figure they've got to be better or they'd not have been sued....Like the looks of the I's better too.

Any idea where I can pick up some S36's cheap on the net? I've not seen any "really" good online pricing for a pair of those yet.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I really liked the sound of the N26's Jeff......I don't know why they just seemed a little more accurate when I listened to them. I was considering them for my S front stuff but decided to stay all S series to be consistent.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Joe, I think Jeff's recommendation is valid, . . . though the final decision should be yours via auditioning both speakers. It gives you an opportunity see the physical size of both speakers and hear their performance by sampling your familiar DVD & Music CD's.
Congrat's Stephen!!!:emoji_thumbsup: I agree w/you about the Studio Series performance and looks! But, after living w/the NSP1's for over two years, in direct comparison with my new 2-weeks old JBL S26 (x4) and S-Center, made me appreciate JBL's "N" Series Engineering Design efforts, to provide excellent quality & over achieving performance (well-documented by Reviewers) vs. an affordable price. 100% of my (Engineering/Technician from work, etc.) friends, and family members that have spent more, some up to 3-times+ more, virtually, . . . fell out of their seats after I demo'ed the DTS #4 Sampler (Private Ryan), Star Wars - The Phantom Menace, U-571 (DTS), etc. Blockbuster DVD's @ REF Level and afterwards told them that my JBL NSP1 HT Set cost $223 (inc. 3-day FedEX, no CA tax)!!
Evaluating my new JBL S26 & S-Center just raises the bar of performance in it's established price point, and I can honestly say that the S26 & S-Center 'performance', exceeds the cost by about the same margin of the NSP1's, which is 2-3 times higher than the $554 I spent for the entire HT Set. The JBL S26 exhibits the same extremely flat & wide frequency response that the N24 & JBL LSR Pro Monitors is noted for!!! :D
...some S36's cheap on the net?
Consumer Direct Warehouse has the JBL Studio Series S36 (White) $239.95 - next, check out their S/H cost to your house, . . . which for me, was an overall lower Total' price than the other internet sites.
Have fun shopping,
Phil

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
I congradulate you as well on your purchase. I hope you enjoy you setup :emoji_thumbsup:
As for the N28 and N26 debate, I heard that the N26's are more accurate and timbre matched with the N24's than the N28's and N24's. Im not sure if thats a valid statement but it is something i read somewhere. I really recommend the
N24+N26 combo. For one thing im not a audiophile who can pick out every little sound (i bet 3/4 of the so called audiophiles cant either ;) . I really dont think you would be able to tell the difference between the two. Its up to you but my recommendation still stands.
By the way how many watts per channel is your reciever pushing. One thing with the Jbl's is that they need a good power source to sound good. I dont know what is is about them, its just that they need to be pushed hard to really sound great.
If you have questions, dont hesitate to ask

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a pair of N26s from J&R and they arrived today. Wow! I was impressed by the N24s but the N26s are amazing. Now I just gotta get a receiver so I can hear all the speakers at once... I'm just using an old stereo receiver right now. I'm gonna be getting a Denon 3802. I figured since I have 7 speakers, I might as well put them to use! ;)

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
Oh Jeff, I have a question... What stands should I put these N26s on? They have a rather odd design...

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Well you have many choices and it depends on how much you want to spend. Amazon has these stands that should support the N26's. They are also having free shipping on over $99 purchase. Buy something extra and apply coupon.
Sanus Stands (Amazon)
$10 off $75 at Amazon Expires: 3/14/02
Code: MAPWNEVALLEY
$10 off $75 at Amazon Expires: ???
Code: MAPMCEXCLUSV
Amazon.com also has the JBL Northridge FSN26 Speaker Stands
that were made for the N26's. They are on sale for $103.95 which means you get free shipping. Buy a DVD as well and apply the $10 coupon to keep you over $99 for free shipping.
Link Removed
Stands - $103.95
DVD - $10.00
Apply Coupon - -$10.00
Total = 103.95 Free shipping
Here are some Stands that would work from Best Buy
Sanus
HT30
HT20
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

David King

Stunt Coordinator
hey Stephen,

ecost.com just got some more back in. 229.95 per/pr

Not too hot, but they offer free shipping on orders of $500 or more and under 100lbs with a small handling fee.

I purchased my whole JBL studio set there this past month. Both orders were shipped the same day and arrived very quickly.

SCenter + 2pr of S36=616.29 total

1 pr S38 + Panny RP91 player=704.41 total

$13.20 back through e-bates

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks