What's new

Mains sound different with test tone.....suggestions? (1 Viewer)

I just got a pair of brand new paradigm 100's v.3 a few weeks ago. For some odd reason they sound different when running standard white noise test tone on my receiver. One is not as bright and for lack of terms slightly duller or muffled sounding compared to the other. It's like a different tone. I swaped them to make sure it wasn't the receiver or positioning, which it wasn't.

What's happening here?......Tests....suggestions?

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Possibly a blown tweeter? Put your ear right up to the tweeter just to make sure in case you haven't already.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Put the 2 speakers next to each other and facing you. Play the tone and alternate between them. If it still sound largely different, then bring back the pair and ask for an exchange.

If it sounds the same, then room acoustics is playing with ya.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
What MingL said. Also make sure you've swapped the speaker cables & tested, etc. (I know you already did this, but just 'cause). No, this should not really have any effect but there is always that 1-in-a-gazillion chance that something's dinged there.

Have you tried any other test tones other than the white noise from your receiver? This should help better identify a blown (or "insufficient") tweeter, etc. and could help make the discussion w/ the dealer even quicker & easier should you have to bring these back.

Or, you could just give them to me to test (for the next year or five... ;~)

Thanks guys........

I have the speakers angled inward and far enough from the walls. Identical spacing and angles. I have replaced old wires with 12gu Sound King. I have triple checked phasing and proved it wasn't that or position by swaping the speakers and leaving the cables there. Lower pitch traveled with the same speaker let's call it "B".

The cc-570 is not exactly like "A" but it has the slightly higher pitch and is pretty close. I'd assume that is placement of the center and not that worried about it.

I thought this was positioning for a while and have been playing with the toe-in on both speakers. I really hear them changing and warming up and I'm really happy with the way voices are coming off.

I NEVER thought I'd have an issue with new speakers so I purchased in CA and saved $750. I DON'T want to go back unless I'm sure there's a problem. I'm fairly positive the tweeter isn't blown.

These are my first high quality speakers and I'm seriously bummed after being totally jacked. My luck as well......this is all I could think about in jury duty for the last two days.

Where can I get some different tones or what should I try next here to find the fault?

biz

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Try my suggestion. The speakers must be absolutely next to each other (touching if possible) for this test to be conclusive.

Room acoustics can make 2 speakers with identical freq response sound totally different.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if you've switched the speakers, with no discernable affect upon the "problem", then it's either room acoustics, or it's probably not the speaker(s).

i would begin suspecting some other reason besides a defective speaker.

Yes Wayne...I physically moved the speakers positions and left the wires there. The tones followed the speakers. The same speaker at the NEW location is producing the same sound.

I'm going to try some Avia tones tonight and if I feel brave enough open the tweeter and check the wiring per other suggestions.

The best I can describe it is one produces a, "Shhhhh" and the other a "Shuuuu"

b

Well I got home and did a bit more research........here's that scoop. I have all v.3 100's, cc-570 & ADP-470's in the back. I got out my RS sound level meter(c, slow) and avia......never used the audio part due to my weak link of speakers, just video.

Many, many tones and test on there....awesome. I thought the right rear had the "Shhhhh" as well with my receivers test tones.

First the good. When I played the 5.1 tests from Avia speaker by speaker all besides the center were within a db. Center needed to be adjusted to -2 on my Sony ES.

Here's the bad. This test tone is much higher pitch than the Sony's and when volume raised to 70db..........only the left front and the right rear.....CRACKLED! Even more if I touched the tweeter dome ever so slightly. I've never heard this once besides with this certain tone.

The rest were smooth as silk at this level. What was even weirder, to me at least, is the right rear was the same on both the front and back tweeters of the speaker.

Hopefuly this is better info to help the wizards here.....b

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Unhook the speaker thats crackling and hook up a speaker thats not crackling to the same channel and wire. If this speaker crackles then it is coming from the source, if it doesn't crackle it would have to be the speaker. If its the source you can swap out DVD players with a friend to see if it is the culprit. If it still does it start looking at your wires or receiver. I think the technical term for this is "Process of elimination.":D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks