Mains from the AVR or through the SVS?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keith Hyde, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

Dec 28, 2003

I went with the quick and easy AVR direct approach, but a friend commented last night that I should wire through the SVS for a little more juice to the mains. Besides the wattage gain (according to my friend), I see a second potential advantage - I'm only about 85% pleased with the Denon AVR1800's built in crossover points which are NOT adjustable far as I can tell - seems I am always fussing with the back of the SVS between HT and music playback. Maybe through the SVS would be beneficial...

Comments before I go drop a small bundle on plugs and wire? Would I have any further use of that directional sub cable I bought?

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Jan 12, 2004
    You would not be gaining any power using the high level inputs and outputs. You will probably be loosing it. If you want to play with the crossover points, try using the main preouts from your 1800 ( I am assuming it has some). Set the mains to large and the sub to none. You need a Y RCA to connect the R and L main preouts and feed those into your sub cable. You will now send full signal to the sub and will be able to use the subs crossover to control your bass. You will lose the ability to control the sub level via your AVR and will have to control it with the subs volume knob only. Play with it and see what happens.
  3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Jul 9, 2003
    I recently went through the same thing, and this is what I found:

1)There is no power advantage or disadvantage. The sub powers what it is playing and the mains are powered by the AVR for what they are playing. Same as with line level hookup.
    2)If your AVR has a fixed crossover, and you need the adjustability (your mains are small satellites and should be crossed over at 120Hz for example), the speaker level setup could be very advantageous. The only real downside is hookup is a bit of a PITA.
    3)If you adjust the crossover for music vs. movies, this method could be advantageous for you, but if you adjust the sub gain (as most people do), the speaker level input will require you make adjustments at the sub. With the line level you can adjust sub volume/gain through either the sub or the receiver.

Hope this helps