Mains for $1000 or less

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nathan J, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

I am buying new mains. My first choice at the moment is B&W 603's. I am open to suggestions on what I should look for and what other brands I should listen to. Mostly for HT, But I am getting into the music part more and more, and I think that if I have new speakers that will make a big difference. [​IMG] I cannot spend more than $1000 though.

For the time being, they will be powered with a Yamaha reciever, "Rated at 100 watts per channel."

No comments on the reciever please. [​IMG]

Show me guidance. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

PSB Stratus Minis =)

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Paradigm Monitor 11's, they retail for $1050, but you should be able to get them out the door at your price. They'll be great for music or HT and are pretty efficient so your reciever will have no prob powering them. Hopefully you have a dealer near you.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteP...nitorSpecs.htm

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

monitor series and 600 series are close in performance, IMO. People may prefer one or the other, I preferred the digms myself, though I know some people will prefer the B&W. I am biased towards a superior stand-mounted speaker at the same price, something like the 700series, or the paradigm ref series, though you'll be overbudget with the 700 series. Anyway, listen to as much as you can, and have fun!

5. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I would look to "B" stock PSB Stratus Silveri's or Image 6t or 7pt. All can be found for

6. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Sound Dynamics 300TIs

rogo

7. Nathan J

What about Rockets or Divas?

8. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

For me, and this is just because I love the way Yamaha works with B&Ws...but I would highly, and I mean highly consider something like this...

Instead of the DM603 S3s for their ~1000 mark...I would get the DM602 S3s (should be able to get them for $500). and go and pick up the SVS PCi 20-39 for 549. Now I know you'll be going about $100 - $150 over the 1000 mark...but you will be completely amazed at the difference with getting a sub with 602s. I (personally) like the fact that the 602s use the 7" driver vs. 603's 6" or 6.5" can't remember which off the top of my head.

The 602s are an amazing bookshelf speaker and coupled with the SVS sub (or any for that matter - like HSU, etc.) will honestly outperform the 603s.

Now granted you will need a speaker stand, but honestly, you can build them pretty easily if you want to save yourself money.

I know you'll end up over the $1000 budget, but by such a small margin, I think the gains far outweigh the extra cost.

Just something I would consider, and if I had the choice, I would go that route...I've placed my 602s (which are my rears) at my friend's house next to his 603s...and there was a marginal difference between the two...the only thing we could tell is that the 603s has a little more bass (with the extra driver and bigger cabinet space)...but the 602s seemed to give a better soundstage than the 603s. Coupled that with his sub, we both honestly thought the 602s sounded a bit better than his 603s. Now here's the kicker...my 602s were not even 1 hour out of the box...(I went to his house after I picked them up since he was on the way back) and I have to say they have definitely opened up with putting closer to 50hrs on them...they sound a lot better (to me).

Either way though, you'll be happy...both the 602s or the 603s are great speakers for the price range.

9. Nathan J

Thanks for all the input so far.

One thing that I guess I should mention, I already have a DIY tempest for a sub....I love it[​IMG]

Anyone else think the 602 sounds better than the 603?

The main reason for getting the 603 is because its a tower. I have a 5 year old,(kid) and a 8 month old (dog)
    and one of them is bound to knock over the speakers if they are just sitting on a stand. (the dog has a ton of energy [​IMG] )

If it wasnt for that, I would have no problem going with a monitor, but I think for right now, I should stick with a floorstander. I would hate to pay $600 - $1000 for a pair of speakers, and have them get knocked over and break something or wreck the crossover or whatever.

10. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

NHT ST4's are worth a listen among the others mentioned.

11. Gerard Vogel

Gerard Vogel Auditioning

If you're happy with the way the sub sounds with music and would prefer floorstanders, then i'd say choose the B&W 602.5's for $700. They have smoother midrange than the 602's IMO and a good set up speaker stands would be around $100 anyways. If you don't like the way the sub sounds with music, i'd suggest you get the 603's and don't use the sub for 2 channel. Good luck with whatever you choose.

12. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

You could go for the DM604s for $1200...much better than the 603s. I also compared them side by side to the 604s. Much better low frequency extension over the 603s, so if you listen to music (without sub) you will definitely be more happy with them. They are bigger (dimension wise) and would take a lot to knock over if you use the "spikes" or feet to firmly plant them into the carpet. I think the 7" drivers just works alot better.

They are definitely "louder" than the 603s, we consistently had to turn the receiver up by almost 5db to match the sound that the 604s put out with the 603s. Again, this was with the 604s being right out of the box...and the 603s with a good 6 - 8 months of use.

13. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Nathan,

Since you already do DIY, go get yourself the GR Research AV-3 kit, and build yourself the speakers. They will probably sound better than the B&Ws (although in all fairness, I have never been a B&W fan).

Hope this helps.

14. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

The Acoustic Energy EVO Three is a good speaker for $699.

15. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I would throw a vote in for the Rocket RS550's here. I have compared them to a number of the speakers that are listed in this thread and IMO the Rockets can stand toe to toe with any of them in terms of sound quality and they easily surpass all of them in aestetics...[​IMG]