mains at lower height than center and surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by rob hoinsky, Jun 26, 2005.

1. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

i have been listening to my vifa xt/xg towers on top of subwoofer boxers that placed the tweeter 13.5" above my ears. i moved the boxes and now the tweeters are on the floor, so now the tweeters are at ear level. my initial impresssions are that the stage seems too low, which is probbably because i have been listening to it that high for a year and a half. will i get used to this sound the more i listen to it?

also, my center channel is on top of my tv which is about 18" above my mains and my rears are about 3 feet above ear level. do you think this will make movies sound inacurate?

i will listen to the system with like this for a while and let my ears decide, but what do you think?

thanks,

rob

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Its not what we think.. Its what your ears tell you. Thats a hard one. For HT use it probably makes next to no difference. If your one that likes all the DSP's from your receiver and use all your speakers, (mains, center and surrounds) then it will make a difference if you sitting in the sweet spot. Try it your new way for awhile say several weeks then change it back real quick to where it was before. Have recorded material that you are familiar with and you should have your answer. Good luck!

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes, the more you listen to it set up the new way the more used to it you will get. Having the surrounds 3 feet above ear level is a little high but not a big deal.

The hight of your front soundstage is a compromise of direct radiators. That is one reason why some people adore planars like Magnapan. The more expensive models have tweeter "ribbons" that are 40 inches long and the panels can be 5-6 feet tall. I have heard several of these panels and the hight of the front image is pleasing to me.

If you like the higer soundstage with yours up on the subwoofer boxes, feel free to use them that way. What anyone in cyber land thinks doesn't really matter.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, the alternative is to put it under the TV, but then it will be about 18” below your mains.

The truth is, in most home theaters it’s impossible to keep the front soundstage on a level plane, because that usually puts the center speaker right in the middle of the display!

To compensate most people locate the center speaker above or below the display and angle it up or down toward the listening area. It's about all you can do.

Regarding the rear speakers, it’s not a problem to put them high. Ever been to a movie theater? [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

That's what I do. I put those little rubber 'feet' (for a lack of a better word) on the bottom of my center channel speaker, with smaller ones in the front to angle it down.