Main Speakers for Yamaha Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DougO, Jan 14, 2002.

1. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Need recommendations for main speakers. Want tower cabinet, but low end is not crucial as I have a nice musical sub (should I want to include it whilst listening to tunes). Currently have decent AR 338 bookshelves as mains (they weigh 23 lbs each just the same) but after adding the RX-V2200 receiver, I've been evaluating in-home, I want to test drive highly recommended tower speakers that other very happy Yamaha receiver owners use.

Budget (street) >> $1200

Wants: smooth yet detailed, deep and wide soundstage, can crank when desired and not fatigue the ears, does wonders for female vocals, diverse enough to handle metal, classical, Floyd, REM, Led Zep.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Look at Paradigm. I am using the Monitor 9s (with a Yamaha RX-V995) which are very nice. Also the Monitor 7 is an excellent bargain.
    Their reference equipment is very good, but may be a bit pricey.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

4. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have an RX-V1000 (the predecessor to the 2200, I believe), and have Paradigm Studio 100's. They sound neutral to me - I like to think of it as accurate. Some think the combo can be bright, I don't. YMMV...

The 40's rank as good or better (although they're not floorstanders), and should be driven a bit better with the Yammie. Plus, they cost a lot less than the 100's. I think you can get them for well under $1200. If you can make a trip into Canada, you can do better... Since you're planning to run a sub, I think these would be a great choice.

If you don't ever plan to upgrade your amp section in the near or distant future, you may want to look elsewhere.

Good luck,

Martin.

5. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

6. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Yamaha RX-V2095 and Klipsch KLF10.