What's new

Main speakers Floorstanding <$850 for the pair (1 Viewer)

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for some new front/main speakers:

I have Pioneer VSX-410, Boston Acoustics rears, Wharfedale Zaldek center and Sony Sub.

I'm looking for something fairly compact with a black finish, looking to spend somewhere in the $400-500 range per speaker.

Will be used for 75% Movies & 25% Music (which will be mostly DVD-A's)

Any suggestions on models or sites to purchase would be helpful.

thanks.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dom, what will be using for a center channel? Or are you planning on only R/L fronts to generate a ‘phantom’ center channel?

I ask because if you already have a center speaker, or are planning on a specific one, I would recommend speakers from the same line (ideal) or that are a good match for the center (in terms of sound).

If this is not an issue, you might consider doing your best to match your rear speakers (especially regarding how the higher frequencies sound). But it is more important to match the front three speakers than the surrounds.

If you like the Boston Acoustics sound and plan to keep the surround speakers, I would recommend staying within that line.

Otherwise,
the Rocket RS550s are outstanding HT main speakers and perform very well for music also.

As a future consideration they match the RSC200, which is an truly great center speaker.

BTW, I have a pair of the 550s, so you may consider my obvious preference. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since you have a Wharfdale center, I would HIGHLY recommend Wharfdale mains. Pretty simple math. I am not familiar with their line(s), so I can't recommend a specific model, but keeping the main 3 speakers from the same family of speaker (timbre matched) will yield the best results.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dom, I reread your initial post after reading John’s post. Don’t know how I overlooked your center speaker, but I did twice.

I concur with John. So long as you like your center, stick with Wharfdale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks