Main speakers configuration advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LowellG, Jun 18, 2002.

1. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I currently have the Def Tech SM 350’s temporarily up front as my mains. I am going to move them to the surround positions when I buy new mains. I have a question about a couple of different configurations I want to try. Here are the two config’s I am looking at:

A. Def Tech PM 700’s as mains, no external sub (2 built in 250W, 8" subs)
    B. Def Tech SM 450’s as mains, Pro Sub 100TL (1 250W, 10" sub)

My question is how much bass will I get from the 2, 8" subs vs. the 1, 10" sub? Also, does anybody know what type of effect elevating a sub off the floor does. I might put the PM700’s on 16" or 24" speaker stands. How does it effect bass output when a sub is off the ground.

The Def Tech "email answer man" stated he thought I would get more bass out of the 2, 8" subs. While I respect his opinion, he also is a marketing man for Def Tech and may see a potential additional sub sale down the road. The low frequency response for the PS100TL is 19Hz and the PM700’s is 20Hz. So I don’t see much of a difference there. He also stated it is best to have matching mid/subwoofer sizes. The 350’s and 700’s match with 5.25"/8" respectively. The 450’s have 6.5"/10" respectively. Both have 1" tweeters.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. LowellG

I seem to get very few responses to my questions. Do I ask to hard of questions? Am I not making any sense in what I am asking? I consider this sight the best sight for advice that I have found. Is there another forum that I should be checking in with for my questions?

3. LeeD

LeeD Auditioning

Hi Lowell,

The two 8" subs will give you better results than a single 10" sub.

The thing with Def Tech though is that their quoted frequency responses are not really what we are used to seeing.

If you will notice, they are not quoted within any type of parameters...say +/- 3db.

I am interested in the PM 900, and emailed them for the specs within +/- 3db.

I got a reply back from Dave Kakenmaster who said the +/- 3db figures were 29hz - 22hz. Their literature gives a figure of 19hz - 30hz.

I suspect the PM 700 are about 31hz - 22hz +/- 3db.

I agree, they sound great...just don't believe everything you read in their literature.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

I think you'll be best off with the separate sub. Where you want to put your mains is probably not the best place to put your sub.

5. LowellG

Two conflicting opinions, but that's why I come to this site.

I didn't know the they would actually give us the +/- 3db ratings, that is good to know. The numbers add up though. The Perfect Vision buyers guides says the PS100TL is in the low 30's Hz.. and the new Supercube,rated at 14Hz is in the mid-20's Hz.