What's new

Mailbox Hit.. Again! (1 Viewer)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Yeah, he hit several of them. I don't remember how badly damaged they were, it was quite a long time ago.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I asked because I was wondering if there was a method to the madness.
Thought he might be providing access to the mail carrier by cutting in close to the box.
If he was actually hitting then, not so helpful.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Mailbox got hit again today. Looking at my original post date, it has been 4 months now. This time it is not so bad though, just the knob off the front. The last time I mounted it, I put it so far off the road, the hwy dept put a 1' wide gravel shoulder for the mail truck. I guess I can't put it back any further. If it gets totaled, I will try one of those swing away ones.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

You can usually replace that with a drawer pull and your mail person will want you to do that. :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have a feling that a rural municipality would have no problem with you taling 'defensive' measures such as concrete reinforced. If they DO have troubles, you could get some 4" PVC pipe, sink it into the ground (empty) then paint it grey (to look like concrete) with a yellow top. It would look much like the reinforced concrete barriers in gas stations, etc. but be no real threat...

Oooorrrr, you could get a cheap white sedan and park it in front of your house. With a bit of touching up it could resemble a law enforcement vehicle quite nicely. Not to mention - if they hit the car your mailbox is safe and now they are guilty of hit and run if they don't report it.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The real solution is to get a PO box. Besides having the box knocked down, there's also the very real problem of mail theft.

I'm amazed people still have unsecured mail boxes where anyone can steal their mail.

All the advice on putting up the box is practically worthless if someone is intentionally knocking the box down, which is common.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't think it is being intentionaly being damaged, just people having troubles staying on a narrow road. This is the 6th time in 10 months. I could get a PO box, but the closest one is 15 minutes away and I never go that way.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed the ad for this suggests you install the Swing-Away mailbox with an eight pound sludge hammer. :laugh:

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I am convinced the plow guys aim for my mailbox. I bought my house from a guy that many people in the town didn't like very well. I don't think the plow guys know he doesn't live there anymore. It's has been knocked off three times this winter and now the only thing holding it on are some old Thule straps from my kayak rack. They have held quite well through a few storms so far. When spring gets here I'm going to modify the post a little and remount the box with some stainless steel to deflect any snow or baseball bat hits.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
maybe put a sign that the guy you bought the house from doesn't live there anymore! :)

If it is indeed the plow, some towns in NJ here have a policy that the town will replace them for free. Of course, the mailbox that they replace it with is probably not going to be the same mailbox, but it will allow you to still get mail in the interim. Some towns even have an insurance policy for that.. I just read an article about a town near me with a policy out on mailboxs..

Jay

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Funny you bring that up. I lived in NJ for the first 25 years of my life. Our mailbox there got hit at least once a year. Mostly by the highway dept! We would call them up and they would send someone out to either fix it or replace it.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

Funny you should ask. About 2 weeks after I bought the house I get home to see a note stuck to the front door. Some girl was driving down the road when a car coming from the other direction drifted on to her side causing her to swerve and her side mirror brushed and dented the original mailbox. She left the note as an offer to replace the box but the original box was already in bad shape. I did call to ask if she was okay and then told her not to worry about it. Made her day much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks