Mail order companies - Pre Order?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Tressler, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Hey gang, I am looking for an online retailer that gets preorders to arrive to you on (or before) the release date.. DVD planet and buy.com are usually 1 day late.. Any experiences would be helpfull!

thanks!

jim

2. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Post Edited By Administrator - Please Don't List Retailers Who Break Street Dates!
    I order from a retailer first thing in the morning on the Friday before release date and my DVDs are on my doorstep Monday morning. I've been doing this for almost a year and they have not failed me even once. As you bonus you get great prices, a top-notch web site and stellar service. I just love 'em. [​IMG]
    BTW, I always choose USPS Priority shipping. I live in Florida, and they ship from PA. Your mileage may vary.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use DVD Empire, choose their least expensive shipping option, and still get my pre-orders by street date. When ordering four or more titles on one order, the shipping is free.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

A reminder to everyone: Please do NOT publicly identify retailers (online or B&M) who break street date. Thank you.
    M.

5. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

My latest experience with DVDPlanet (my first experience with this etailer). I know I've been warned that this etailer is not reliable on pre-orders but their Dance Pak (Travolta 5-pak) of under $70 (plus $4.50 for shipping) had me lusting for this since I held off buying Grease in anticipation of this package pricing (available at Costco and Target) for just under $75 plus tax (6% in my state).

I checked with them last Friday and they had just received their stock and were promising to get it out that day or Saturday. On Saturday they invoiced me so I assumed this meant they would ship it the same day. Wrong!! They not only did not ship the same day they had no idea when it would actually ship (something about just having gone through inventory days). Monday passed and no notification and yesterday (actual street date) passed with no email but I did get a phone call telling me it finally shipped and they would refund me the cost of shipping. So whenever this does arrive (I believe it was shipped USPS priority)I will get the pak for what is under $14 per title. Not bad but a process that leaves me a bit sour for pre-ordering since I will have received this pak several days if not a week passed street date. I also do not consider it appropriate to invoice a product that is not shipped the same day or next business day.

Bottom line. I will have to be convinced that DVDPlanet has cleaned up their act before pre-ordering in the future. My emails requesting clarification thus far have gone unanswered. I long for the good old days of DVD Express and their superior web site and service levels. Unfortunately, DVD Empire, who I use on occassion is my home state that, unless I get free shipping, negates any price advantages with the sales tax added in.

It's not easy balancing declining service levels at all the etailer sites vs. declining prices at local B&M's. Unfortunately, service levels everywhere have been on the decline. My best shopping experiences have been with Costco (since I am a member) when they have advantaged pricing.

Joel

6. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Update to my DVDPlanet saga. The Dance Pack arrived today only 1 day after USPS picked it up in California. Not bad for priority mail. Since the entire ordeal wound up being without shipping cost due to their snafu of early invoicing (see last post). I am fairly happy with the outcome -- $69.97 for 5 popular titles (Grease, Flashdance, Sat. Night Fever, Footloose, and Urban Cowboy), which comes out to just under $14/title with delivery - only 1 day past street date. Since this was my first order with them I was a bit nervous since there is not much information on their web site and shipping notification never came through email. I guess I'll give them another chance when the price and mood is right.

I also finally got a response to my email inquiries. I guess they are just slow in responding to inquiries. My guess is that I will try to stick to inventoried items and stay away from pre-orders for now.

Joel

7. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

good deal joel! Glad it worked out!