Maiden Voyage of the PB2+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BryanWeaver, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BryanWeaver

BryanWeaver Extra

Yes,

I finally had a chance to really try out my new system which consists of:

Klipsch RF-35s,RC-35,RS-35s
    SVS PB2+ sub
    Onkyo TX-SR 701 receiver
    Onkyo DVCP 701 dvd
    Akai 42" rptv (samsung in disguise)

All this stuff it brand spankin' new, the speakers haven't even been broken in yet, but I have been playing everything execept the sub for a couple of weeks now, and just got a chance to include the sub.

As some of you may be able to relate to, attitude about subs by the spouse don't always come with an approving tone, but rather a "you spent how much on that ugly black thing? What is it supposed to do that your 'expensive' speakers can't do?...so are you telling me that those new expensive speakers are really not that good?...you spent how much for one speaker???

As luck would have it, Netflix sent Master and Commander, of which someone said (justifiably so) that the battle scenes with the cannons were a good exercise of an HT need for a subwoofer. That is a fact.

All she kept saying was: "wow!...I can feel the explosions, I can actually FEEL the explosions!!"

And afterwards, she admitted that it was all pretty cool. In this case the subwoofer put the icing on the cake and made a real impression. (of course she is amused at the WAF comments, especially on the SVS site).

It will be smooth sailing for now.

Bryan

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Sweet! I wish my wife would show a little appreciation for my B4+/K2 combo. [​IMG]

3. Tim O...

Tim O... Stunt Coordinator

I can relate to what you're saying. My wife doesn't care so much what the PB2 looks like or how big it is (the HT room is mine :O), but the $$$ are a definite sore spot. It did take more time with mine, but after about a month or so, she wants to watch movies all the time and when a really good LFE effect comes on, I look over at her and say "That was pretty cool, eh?" She just smiles ear to ear and nods her head. That's when I know I've won the WAF battle. :O)

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Bryan,

Great story, thanks for that.

Indeed, a demonstration is often all it takes. You and Tim are but two examples.

Next time, tell her... despite what she's told you in the past... "sometimes size DOES matter".

;^)

Ron

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Ron

"Next time, tell her... despite what she's told you in the past... "sometimes size DOES matter".

Now that is funny [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

Ahh not being married is going to be great when I get my svs. ALthough my girlfriend will be very happy with my choice.

How does your pb2+ sub sound with the 16hz tuning? Is that the tuning you all use or do you do the 20hz tuning?

Reason why I am asking is because I demoed a 16-46pci and love the deep bass. I just dont want to get the box and not be able to hit the deeps like the 46" cylinder do.

7. BryanWeaver

BryanWeaver Extra

I configured the sub for the 16hz level, with the wattage available, I had to keep it turned down and still got some nice results.

what bums me out now is that a number of movies that have good DD 5.1 audio, I have recently seen.

I was surprised that even with music, the sub sounds nice and clean.

BTW, I had a cylinder in the past, and really didn't like the asthetics. Most rooms can visually absorb a square (most furniture is square-ish) and the tube stood out.

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I think SVS subs are highly underated and basicly shunned for some reason by true audiophiles and I don't know why. My PB2+ is my 4th sub I have had in my system over the last 5-10 years. At one point I had dual 12" NHT subs that I thought were good but no comparison to the PB2+. I guess for us consumers its a great deal as I was going to spend twice as much at one point on a sub (well known and starts with a V, their biggest) but I don't think it could hold water to the SVS. Have you ever noticed on any of the forums you never hear anything bad about them! Should tell you something as most people that post on a forum have a gripe.
    Mike Lindsey