Mah Jongg

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Voigt, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Anyone here play Mah Jongg?

We're looking for a nice tile set, but are having some difficulty tracking down a place to purchase, preferably a B&M.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Mah Jongg has been a traditional game in my family for as long as I can remember. We play the Hong Kong version (keeping 13 tiles in your hand, going out with 4 "sets" of either pong, chow, or kong, and one double...need 14 tiles minimum to go out). You should probably be able to find some nice sets in any Chinatown. I don't know where you'd find one in Florida though.
    I lived in Taiwan for a couple of years and people there were really surprised that I (an American) knew how to play. While I was there I learned the Taiwan version of play (5 sets, no doubles...or 15 tiles to go out...and some rules of play are different), and could hold my own against many old guys who played their whole life. [​IMG] I brought back a set that doesn't have any romanized numbers on it (like a deck of cards with no numbers)...so you have to know how to read some chinese for the Character, Dragon, and Wind tiles. I can read them just fine...but for some it's too much to learn all at once.
    I taught my wife to play and she's been getting pretty good, but it sure is hard for us to find another couple to get a game going. So the only time I get to play now is when we have some kind of family reunion.
    Do you know where the name "Mah Jongg" came from? [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I had some Japanese ESL students try to fleece me at Mah-Johng. I never learned how to play, but knew better than to let them "teach" me [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    All my aunts, uncles play, my mom and dad know how to play, but dont... Now me, i dont know jack squat how to play :p)

I dont even know how to play Big2 (a card game that the average asian stereotype knows how to play)

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I play the Hong Kong version too, been playing for many years now, but I'm a recreational player.. My father... on the other hand, is semi-decent. He can actually read the character on the tile by his finger.. About 75% accurate too, which amazes me.
    As far as getting a tileset, you can almost always buy one in an asian food store in Chinatown, along with a table and stuff. Or you can buy one online too, just do a google search.
    The way we score is simplified, the winner takes all. Unlike some styles of scoring, you could lose a round, but win the most money just by the number of points you have, but its complicated if you have to keep track of who gave you what.
    When I play my family too, we usually have a house limit of 5 points so you don't have these crazy rounds where you pick up a full house from the set and basically bankrupt everybody... More because we play for fun, not usually any money although of course we play with chips and stuff.
    If you're looking for a computer game, there's two pretty good versions out there. Shanghai Dynasty II by Activision and also Berrie Bloom's shareware one.
    There is another decent one I had for Dos, it was Hong Kong MJ but I have no idea if it's been updated.
    Jay

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

8. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I play the Japanese version of Mah Jong, but I only play casually as well. I knew some friends who played almost 24 hours straight. My g/f can play as well, but we find it hard to find 2 other people to play as well. The Japanese version, I think is slightly different - we don't use the "season" tiles and a couple others.

If there is a Chinatown nearby, some store should have it...

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Im not sure what version they play in the Phillipines, but ill try and learn and pick up a game when i go down next summer.
    My wifes dad plays constantly, he should be able to give me some pointers [​IMG]