What's new

Magnum PI Questions (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Is there some reason why Universal can't keep the packaging consistent for all seasons of a TV show? With Magnum, season 1 looked one way, season 2 and 3 another, and now season 4 looks different than the previous two styles of packaging.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I enjoyed the packaging for the first three season sets but the exterior box packaging for season four looks a little drab and flat.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I finished Magnum S-4 and had no problems at all.

I'd like to see a reunion movie with the original cast. Magnum retiring from the Navy as a Rear Admiral, Higgins, now an accomplished author in his own right, has purchased Robin's Nest and maintains it as his residence. T.C's Island Hoppers has grown into a service offering air transportation between the islands and a Lear Jet for runs to the Mainland. Rick is either the chairman of the board for the Club, or is the Major Domo for Higgins at Robin's Nest...or maybe even took over for Icepick and took the business down a more legit path, but still has a few ties to the underworld...not sure which way that would play better for Rick.

The movie's premise would be the death of Robin Masters, while advanced in age, foul play is suspected. Higgins would drive a new Jaguar, since he always liked the Jag that was replaced with the Audi. Of course there's a new red Ferrari...Higgins' nostalgia for Magnum's time at the estate, and Robin3 would be a Hummer H2.

D.A. Carol Baldwin has been called in to investigate the circumstances surrounding Robin's death at his former estate (Robin's Nest). She suspects Higgins may have had something to do Robin's death since Robin has made unflattering comments about Higgins' latest book. Magnum, recently retired from the Navy (his retirement ceremony is the beginning of the movie), has come to visit Higgins' and attend Robin's funeral. Magnum, of course, takes up the crusade to clear Higgins' good name. Higgins meanwhile has regrets that he never married. Agatha Chumley having died several years before, while still waiting for Higgins to realize she loves him, is on his mind.

Magnum calls on his old friends Rick and T.C. to assist in the investigation. I'll leave the actual killer up to your imagination... :D

MattHR

Screenwriter
So would I. You'd think by now it would have happened. I remember seeing Selleck on various talkshows in the years shortly after Magnum ended. He was always hopeful there'd be a theatrical movie made, with the original cast. Over the years, the talk seemed to shift to a TV reunion movie. Now, Universal seems more likely to recast for a "remake" movie instead. :thumbsdown:

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Magnum rejoined the Navy as a Captain. Rear Admiral is the next step up. There are no Major or Colonel ranks in the Navy, although their equivalents are Commander and Captain. :)

I like your premise, Jon! I see you ignore the final season insistence upon Higgins and Robin being one and the same, which definitely works for me. ;)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The premise is similar to one I cooked up, except the hook was Magnum finding out that his wife was still alive.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
While it looks as if this feature-length Magnum movie is going to come to pass with either George Clooney or Vince Vaughn as the man with the moustache, :angry:, Selleck has hinted in a recent interview that Magnum may still be in his future in some form:

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/14381/

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wouldn't even consider seeing it with Clooney. If it's Vaughn, I would only entertain the idea if it's played straight. If it's a parody/comedy, and not a drama with comedic elements, count me out.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the kind words about my reunion movie idea. I'd much rather see the original cast portray where their characters would be today, not a remake with new faces.

"I know what you're thinking..." but there will never be another Magnum, Rick, T.C., or Higgins. The format could be there, but the character interaction and comraderie that grew over 8 seasons isn't going to be replaced by a new cast.

I know the actors will be older, but so are the characters, and that's who I want to catch up with.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
What made Magnum a classic show was the chemistry between all the the actors. You can't recreate that with a new cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks