Magnum PI Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_E, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I was reading about the possibilty of MAGNUM PI on DVD back on the other board and realized how much I enjoyed this series. It was SO 80's, but not in a Miami Vice sort of way. The humor, the drama (yes, remember the one with Bo Svenson as the Russian? What an ending!!), and the babes Thomas Sullivan Magnum had to suffer with every week. I would probably pick up a few seasons of it on DVD. What are your memories of this piece of TV history?

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I responded to the Magnum P.I. thread in the Software Forum, but I'll add a few thoughts here.

While it's easy to see that Magnum P.I. was made in the '80s, I personally don't think the series has dated at all. Also, while the series as a whole could be classified as "light action with some mystery" there are certainly some very dramatic episodes that explored depths far beyond the range of most television shows. I truly think that Selleck is a very underrated actor, and that Magnum P.I. is a very well executed series.

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I meant "so 80's" in a fond sort of way, as it had the cars, the girls, the kick ass location, not the "gritty" feel of most similar series' these days. It isn't dated like, say, MIAMI VICE, as the characters wore stuff probably still worn in Hawaii today. Selleck's Magnum was, and still is, one of my favorite characters on TV.

4. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Thomas Sullivan Magnum, Orville "Rick" Wright, Theodore Calvin, and Jonathan Quayle Higgins III are four of my favorite television characters of all time.

Four men, all warriors of previous wars whom all have ghosts and battles of the past still on their mind. All men hold duty, honor, friendship and loyalty above all else.

Magnum p.i., combined: humor, drama, mystery, action, suspense on a weekly basis for eight seasons. And it was perhaps the first show on television that honored Viet-Nam Vets and appluaded them for their service rather than disgrace them. These were men who were honored but also scarred by the past, trying to rebuild a life in Hawaii. On this point alone Magnum won much accolade from service men and woman, viewers and critics alike.

It is sad in a sense that we may never see shows such as Magnum p.i. again. Can you imagine the reaction to a proposed shoot in Hawaii for a 20 episode season today? It would never happen. We have become too safe, too formula, duplicate someone elses succsess rather than to try and find that magic in the bottle again.

Some of my favorite episodes:

- Did You See the Sunrise? (Thomas Magnum's coldest moment)
    - Almost Home
    - Laura
    - Solo Flight
    - Paper War (classic Magnum vs. Higgins)
    - Home from the Sea

There are dozens and dozens that I can't think of the title off the top of my head also.

Perhaps my favorite Magnum moment was in an episode in which at the end T.C. and Rick are doing Thomas' dirty work as usual, photographing a man and a woman at a lighthouse, then all of the sudden the man throws the woman off the lighthouse and Rick gets an "oh crap" look on this face, then produced by Donald Bellarsario pops up on the screen. Dark humor, the unexpected, and ricks reaction made one of the oddest moments in the series to me.

-- Matt

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Yeah, that tossing the girl off the lighthouse was a wild moment that I forgot about! That freeze frame at the end of Did You See the Sunrise left me with my jaw hanging open. MAD ABOUT YOU on DVD but not MAGNUM PI yet?

6. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Ok - you guys have intrigued me!
    Magnum P.I. still airs up here in Canada, although it's usually pretty late at night. Of course, if you're an insomniac like me, then it's all good. [​IMG]
    I was very young when this show originally aired, and I don't think I truly appreciated it back then. Having watched it lately, I have developed a new appreciation for the series.
    I recently saw an episode that was far from what I remembered the series to be. Rick's baby-sister comes to visit in Hawaii, and leaves her in Magnum's care. Mid-way through the episode, she's found murdered, and Rick loses it. It was an episode about loss, responsibility, family, the strengths and weaknesses of friendship.
    So someone enlighten me about the Did You See the Sunrise episode... what happened that made it such a great watch?
    Moe.

7. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

-- Matt

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

yeah, you see the title comes from a major character being killed saying let's go see the sunrise before being dying in Magnum's car, wired to explode when Magnum starts it; Magnum then finds Bo Svenson, who has become a "respectable" person in politics and responsible for the death of his friend, takes him out into the jungle and asks "did you see the sunrise?" and when Bo says yes, Magnum shoots him. Freeze frame, credits roll.

I remember the true "final episode" where Magnum dies and walks off into the clouds. That was more powerful than when they came back for that last season.

9. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I fell in love with Dana Delany on Magnum PI, when she was Magnum's fiance. Man, was she pretty!

I loved this series when it was on, but lately, I couldn't watch it. It just seemed dated. Maybe it's because I've seen them all.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

count me in as another fan. although it is an 80's show it doesn't feel dated at all to me. the show was believable in almost all aspects. i really loved the banter between the characters...especially higgins and magnum.
    without a doubt, the characters and wonderful stories made the show.
    btw - did they ever tell whether higgins was really robin masters or not?
    the show still airs on A&E. i catch it sometimes in the afternoon.
    http://www.aande.com/tv/shows/magnum_pi.html

11. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I would seriously consider buying a Magnum PI DVD set, but with all the great TV shows coming out on DVD it is killing my wallet. Buying a few movies here and there isn't the same as ~$100 for a box set. It is one of the greatest series of the 80's. I would also like to see China Beach on DVD (somebody mentioned Dana Delany in Magnum PI). That one I would buy without hesitation.

12. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Just to reiterate Matt's thoughts, the characters on this show were superb. The writing, direction, and the production overall were also top notch - especially for the television genre. I loved this show when it was on, and I love it today. So many episodes involve so many emotions while dealing with the human spirit. I would buy these DVD's in a heartbeat!
    Some other memorable moments (for those of you who do not know the titles off-hand):
    Frank Sinatra's guest appearance - very dark episode
    Any episode that involved Michelle - Magnum's long lost wife
    And allow me to describe Sunrise a little better for those who may be interested:
    Ivan (Bo Svenson) was a Russian officer aiding the NVA during the Vietnam War. He was only known as Ivan to the enemy, but he was also feared as being ruthless and torturous. One of the things he would ask his victims is, "Did you see the sunrise today?" The theory was that if you did, it was your last - and if you didn't, you'll never get to see another one. Anyway, in the episode, an old buddy from Magnum's team shows up saying that he's seen Ivan in Hawaii. Flashbacks take us back to where Magnum and his team, which included TC, were captured and tortured by Ivan. Even one of Magnum's friends was murdered - bled to death - by Ivan. So, the hunt is on to find out why he's in the islands. Sources at Naval Intelligence, Magnum's good friend, Mack, don't produce much. Nevertheless Colonel Buck Green (not very well liked by Thomas) orders Mack to keep an eye on Magnum. So, Magnum and a date are accompanied by Mack out that evening. As they leave a local bar, Mack jumps into the Ferrari and starts it up. A bomb (obviously meant for Magnum) kills Mack and injures Thomas. In the second part of the episode, we find Magnum and TC quite upset about Mack and determined to find out if Ivan is in Hawaii and behind all of this. After a bunch of other events, we find that Ivan is indeed in town with a Russian delegation, but he is there to assassinate the Japanese Prince - but not personally. He is there with a colleague to activate a sleeper operative, one who was tortured and chemically conditioned in Vietnam. The colleague, we find out, is the other buddy from Magnum's team, and the operative is TC. With some drugs, TC goes into a trance and is ordered to steal a chopper and kill the Prince. Magnum, of course, foils this attempt by snapping TC out of it. At the end, though, it is Ivan who is ejected as a diplomat, but gets off scott free. Magnum cannot settle for that - for the deaths of so many in Vietnam, for his buddy from his special ops team, and now for Mack. So he and Rick devise a plan to divert and detain Ivan's limo. In a remote area, Magnum gets Ivan out of the car and walks him out into the woods. You can tell that Magnum was hoping for resistance, for Ivan to fight back, anything that would give him an excuse to pull the trigger on the .45 in his hand. Unfortunately, Ivan gives him no reason and smugly talks to Thomas about the whole incident. Then he tells him that he knows he's not the type of person who would kill a defenseless man. We, as viewers of MPI for a few years, agree with this assessment. So, Ivan boldly begins to leave. He walks past Magnum, and the camera shows Selleck's face - both enraged and in turmoil, tears welling up in his eyes. Magnum then says, "Ivan, did you see the sunrise today?" Ivan turns, stops and says, "Why yes, I did. Why?" Then the camera is tightened on the back of Magnum's head. He turns, tears in his eyes, holds up the .45 and pulls the trigger. The show ends on the muzzle blast.
    Truly riveting. But that's just me... [​IMG]

13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Also riveting is this episode (forgot the title, but it was the eighth year):

Magnum's wife Michelle and daughter have been killed by a car bomb. The Vietnamese operative responsible is about to be exchanged for an American POW. He finds out where the exchange is taking place and hides nearby with a sniper rifle. He has the killer in his sights but when he sees the POW reunited with his daughter, he can't bring himself to shoot and thus ruin the chance that more POWs might come home.

After he killed Ivan in "Did You See The Sun Rise" just to revenge a friend, you honestly knew that Magnum was capable of killing a man for his wife.

Great stuff.

15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I think I read where they are bringing MAGNUM to DVD either late 2002 or early 2003! YES!

16. Heath Phillips

Heath Phillips Auditioning

Yeah, Magnum and seven others are confirmed on DVD File & The Digital Bits with more shows being considered. This is great news. I hope one of the shows being considered by Universal is Simon & Simon. This would be a great companion to Magnum. Those are two of my all time favorite shows. They even crossed over once. If your a Bellisario fan Quantum Leap was also confirmed.

-Heath

17. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I'm still riveted by the last episode of Magnum P.I. to this day. These shows that you've mentioned in this thread are truly excellent and this show will be MINE when released on DVD!