What's new

Magnum, P.I. (1 Viewer)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
???

Why is this bad news? Did you guys REALLY think they were going to re-cast Selleck? C'mon now.

Clooney is a good actor, and LL, when stuck in the right role, is good as well. Problem is, he's often not cast well. This is a decent role for LL, and a good one for Clooney.

Think more along the lines of Clooney's character in "out of sight" mixed with "The Peacemaker." That's probably going to be the Magnum you're getting.

And that's not bad.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
tom selleck is a better actor then clooney will ever be.. this movie is going to suck now.

they play the reruns on the hallmark channel now.

JACOB

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
???

They're essentially the EXACT same actor. Clooney's a little less of a gay heartthrob than Selleck's Magnum, but other than that, they hit the same notes in their performances, and as actors, I see a lot more similarities than I do differences. I like Selleck. I like Clooney. What makes Clooney SO MUCH WORSE than Selleck?

Besides which, a Magnum movie is probably more than the show deserves. It was never all THAT good. At least the producers seem to be taking it seriously by casting an a-list star in the role. I think that's a good thing.

I dunno. I'm not especially looking forward to the movie since the show usually bored me, but the real key will be who signs on as director and screenwriter.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
If it was anyone else except George (Mr. Acting Ticks) Clooney, I may have been more forgiving toward this movie. They're probably going to give it the Starsky & Hutch treatment and turn it into a freaking comedy anyway!

keisur

Auditioning
I agree. Tom and Roger or nobody at all.

Haha and then another thing, LL in Deep Blue Sea!!!! That is enough to say :thumbsdown: to that. I'm all for him making his own show but he can't handle the TC image. What's next!???? Joe Pesci as Rick?!!!! and neumann from seinfeld as higgy baby!!? I sure hope not but that's about the talent level they are poking at with the first two picks.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
who knew there were such things as Magnum PI purists ;)

I don't mean to belittle, but I just wouldn't have guessed there'd be this fervent a following of the show.

keisur

Auditioning
haha, you seem to be the only one that doesn't know. have you done a search on the net lately? tons of magnum sites and even Selleck said in his interview that he knows how bad a whole lot of people want this and want him and the original cast in it. the interviewer was even agreeing that he too knows this! where had you been?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think the reason that they want a new cast for the movie is because tom selleck was never able to really go from tv to movies. Most of his movies did very poorly, with the exception of three men and a baby.. but if they can do star trek with the original cast, why not magnum.

JACOB

keisur

Auditioning
see that's just it for me. I can watch the original star trek but I can't stand the new stuff. especially after picard played that gay guy in bird cage or whatever it was called. but that's just me, nothing like watching Kirk the overactor get in a fight or spock put somebody down with the fork thing. I don't get into the conventions though, that's a little creepy.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Well I have it on good authority that Universal is working on full DVD seasons of the show as we speak. At least the fans can buy these. I like George Clooney however I think the audience would take to Tom Selleck in the movie version. He is very likeable and I think they should cast Selleck as the lead and then bring in newer actors in the other roles. Hollywood has to stop fuckin up movies by casting from the same 10 actors. The public will go and see a good movie, the actor isn't always the main selling point. Plus everyone over the age of 20 knows who Tom Selleck is. Magnum P.I. is a very successful show that has reached iconic status. I've seen trendy teenage girls wearing t-shirts with Thomas Magnum on them. That made me laugh! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
who knew there were such things as Magnum PI purists
You missed the whole Battlestar Galactica brouhaha in the TV Area, didn't you? :D

Nothing wrong with doing something new rather than a continuation, but I'm not sold that the Austin Powers guy with Clooney is better for Universal or anyone than Toms Selleck & Clancy doing "Magnum, N.I.".

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Except for the foot of height differential. :)

Okay, not quite a foot, but Selleck is 6'4". Clooney is well under the six foot mark. I couldn't believe when he was cast as Batman and suddenly Batman & Robin were the same height unlike Batman Forever with Kilmer towering over O'Donnell. Thank goodness they have another tall Batman in Christian Bale at least. Clooney is awfully short for a guy named "Magnum."

I can tell you one thing: If there's an un-tapped 50+ female demographic for films, Magnum P.I. starring Selleck would suck 'em in. My mother must have seen every re-run 10 times.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
is there a way to write to the producers and tell them that we want selleck as magnum? or is it too late?

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
GOOD NEWS: they will have Tom Selleck play magnum in the movie!

from dark horizons:

Magnum P.I.
Who Magazine reports that contrary to rumours that George Clooney would take on the great mustache, Producer Brian Grazer says he's determined not to cheese off any of those stringent 80's fans by doing such a drastic re-cast. "Tom [Selleck] is and always has been Magnum. We're not even looking at anyone else. Tom's been trying to get a film version of Magnum made for years, so if anything, imagine's merely the steam to guide his loco. And really, could imagine anyone else carrying that moustache as well as he does?.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks