What's new

Pre-Order Magnum P.I. The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81qE7G8sW5L._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
What worries me is the entire series from Mill Creek is on 30 discs, but Fabulous Films' UK set has 37 discs. I suspect a lot of compressing.

I wonder if they're uncut original episodes or edited for syndication.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What worries me is the entire series from Mill Creek is on 30 discs, but Fabulous Films' UK set has 37 discs. I suspect a lot of compressing.

You generally don't have to worry about syndication edits from Mill Creek.

Overcompression and bad PQ, yes. But they usually use the complete network versions as provided by the parent company.

Like everyone else, after the Jeannie debacle, I'll wait on reviews. But I'm tentatively excited to see this one.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeannie was released in 1080i not 1080p, and many people believe it doesn't look much better than the old Sony DVD set upscaled through a decent player and that the streaming versions are better looking than the discs.

And this was after months of constant delays.

So the Jeannie release went from anticipated to reviled in short order.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeannie was released in 1080i not 1080p, and many people believe it doesn't look much better than the old Sony DVD set upscaled through a decent player and that the streaming versions are better looking than the discs.

And this was after months of constant delays.

So the Jeannie release went from anticipated to reviled in short order.
Yeah, I have the entire Magnum series on iTunes in HD digital so I'm good and will bypass this BD release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I have the entire Magnum series on iTunes in HD digital so I'm good and will bypass this BD release.
Probably the best choice.

If you're like me and only have the old DVDs from the pre-HD masters, this set is a decent option (assuming it turns out alright). But having something like the iTunes HD episodes, you probably have them in equal quality to a MC release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably the best choice.

If you're like me and only have the old DVDs from the pre-HD masters, this set is a decent option (assuming it turns out alright). But having something like the iTunes HD episodes, you probably have them in equal quality to a MC release.
Yeah, I have that DVD set too. Anyhow, the series is currently selling on iTunes for $44.95. However, some of us have bought it for $29.99. One time it was on sale for $19.99, but I missed out on that price because I already purchased it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Have you seen the Fabulous Films set? Amazon UK is charging (including shipping) about $16 more than the current price of the Mill Creek release. Amazon UK has no info on whether the Fabulous Films set is region locked.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Have you seen the Fabulous Films set? Amazon UK is charging (including shipping) about $16 more than the current price of the Mill Creek release. Amazon UK has no info on whether the Fabulous Films set is region locked.
Region-locked doesn't matter to me. I've gone to region-free players. However, check Fabulous Film's website for the Blu-ray set and you'll see they list it as Region B:

I passed on the UK set a few years ago when it was down to about $103 + shipping (before shipping costs went insane) because the HD streaming version from iTunes dropped to $19.99 and I pounced on that. ;)

There are ways to track the prices on iTunes and other digital retailers. Not sure if that discussion is allowed here.

Rick

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
At the price point it is being offered I thought it might be a Universal release. I was disappointed that Mill Creek is charging as much as they are. Hopefully the first season will have the first season's theme song (missing on Itunes if I remember correctly). Also I wonder if the crossover episodes with "Murder She Wrote" and others will contain both episodes and not the syndicated edited to be one episode versions. Though I expect since Universal is not releasing it will be the edited version since Mill Creek doesn't have the rights to the other show(s).

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
At the price point it is being offered I thought it might be a Universal release. I was disappointed that Mill Creek is charging as much as they are. Hopefully the first season will have the first season's theme song (missing on Itunes of I remember correctly). Also I wonder if the crossover episodes with "Murder She Wrote" and others will contain both episodes and not the syndicated edited to be one episode versions. Though I expect since Universal is not releasing it will be the edited version since Mill Creek doesn't have the rights to the other show(s).
If they use the same prints as the Universal DVDs, the first portion of the first season will have the original main title theme. While not iconic, it's still a very nice tune that fits the show very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks