Magnolia Press Release: Beyond The Black Rainbow (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Magnolia Home Entertainment

Presents

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW

VIVIDLY IMAGINATIVE… [AN] IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE.” [SIZE=11.5px]– Hollywood Reporter [/SIZE]

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Rainbow-Blu-ray-Michael-Rogers/dp/B008B9JTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346448190&sr=8-1&keywords=beyond+the+black+rainbow

Available on DVD and Blu-Ray September 11, 2012

Featuring a hypnotic analog synthesizer score by Jeremy Schmidt of “Sinoia Caves” and “Black Mountain”
Written and Directed by Panos Cosmatos

Synopsis:
Set in the strange and oppressive emotional landscape of the year 1983, BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW is a Reagan-era fever dream inspired by hazy childhood memories of midnight movies and Saturday morning cartoons. From the producer of Machotaildrop, RAINBOW is the feature film debut of writer and director Panos Cosmatos. Featuring a hypnotic analog synthesizer score by Jeremy Schmidt of “Sinoia Caves” and “Black Mountain,” RAINBOW is a film experience for the senses.

Special Features*: Extended Scenes, Behind the Scenes, Commentary with Panos Cosmatos, Making of Beyond The Black Rainbow, Trailer

DVD:

Catalog Number: 10484 UPC: 876964004848

Pre-order Date: 8/14/2012

Street Date: 9/11/2012

Rating: R Runtime: 110 Minutes

Genre: Sci-Fi

SRP: $26.98

Blu-ray:

Catalog #: 10485

UPC: 876964004855

SRP: $29.98

About Magnolia Home Entertainment
Magnolia Home Entertainment is the home video division of Magnolia Pictures. Launched in November 2005, the company releases a diversified slate of films both underMagnolia Home Entertainment and the Magnet Releasing label, including Lars Von Trier's Melancholia, Kevin Macdonald’s Marley, Rob Reiner’s The Magic of Belle Isle, Andrew Rossi's New York Times documentary Page One, David Gelb’s Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Jay Baruchel’s Goon, the SXSW Official Selection Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop, James Marsh’s Academy Award® winning Man on Wire and Academy Award® nominated documentary Food, Inc. Magnolia Home Entertainment is part of a vertically-integrated group of media properties co-owned by Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban that includes distributor Magnolia Pictures, the Landmark Theatres chain, production companies HDNet Films and 2929 Productions, and high-definition cable networks AXS.tv and HDNet Movies. For more information visit http://www.magpictures.com.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, this would be episode two of "Under the Radar" this morning and I have to say I was pretty impressed that Ron had announced this release here...although not really surprised that there were no responses to his announcement.

Again we have another "love it or hate it" picture and again this one dwells in the science fiction/thriller genre. I have seen this film and I have to say I really loved it up until the end...which seems to come out of left field and does not match the tone and feel of the rest of the film...but still the spell the film weaves for the first 105 minutes makes this a journey worth taking I think. This first 105 minutes is beautifully shot and sets a hypnotic and mysterious tone that at times seems to be at least a bit influenced by Kubrick. I have to admit though that I enjoy odd little films that can be more than a little opaque in terms of explaining what is going on to the audience. If you dislike this in a film and prefer a more straightforward narrative style then Beyond the Black Rainbow will not be for you.

However if you are a fan of 1970s science fiction and enjoy a film with quite a bit of mystery, atmosphere, and things left open to your imagination you will likely find this a real gem. However, as I stated the last 5 minutes, give or take, of this film to me feels like a major mistake and introduces a couple of characters that...well...seemed to have walked in from another picture from a totally different genre. I would almost recommend turning the film off near the end as the the final couple of scenes add nothing and feel like you suddenly changed the station and are watching a different movie...in fact I can't even think of a film that has such a sudden and shocking shift in tone but as I said the rest of the film is actually pretty wonderful.

beyond_the_black_rainbow.png

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What will impress me... Ron buys it. Teasing Ron, this too mainstream...

Edit:

Thought this was a new version...oops.

Really...this old and two responses...

Sad.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's a bit of video that might inspire some interest:

Yes, this film is actually four years old...two on blu-ray it seems...and was not at all promoted so most people probably have no idea it exists and so have no comment on it but give it a chance if you like strange sci-fi with a retro feel and beautiful visuals and sound.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
After seeing Cosmatos' Mandy recently, I decided to check out his one earlier film, BTBR (2010). Very impressive - this is truly an excellent film, but is definitely not for everyone. I found it convoluted & dense, but not in a bad way. Some comments:

-The whole movie had a very nightmarish/unsettling atmosphere.

-The "instructional video" (for lack of a better word) reminded me a lot of a similar video that was part of the storyline in Lost (2004-2010), one of my favorite TV shows.

-If I hadn't known better - I would have actually thought this film came out in the late '70's/early '80's; it had the feel/vibe of a B-grade horror flick that would have aired on some obscure cable channel @ 2:00am back in the day - and I mean that as a compliment. I know it was set in '83, and there was a lot of attention to detail to ensure that it really looked like it came out during this era, i.e. the hairstyles, glasses, fashion, etc. The lack of big stars also enhanced this as well, given that there was no one that recognizable in the film.

-Incredible unnerving soundtrack.

-I did like the ending; very understated & subtle.

I will need to watch the film again, since I'm sure I missed some things the first time around.

In closing, on one hand it's too bad that Cosmatos has only directed two films in 8 years. On the other hand, I would rather see a couple of high quality films like BTBR & Mandy every ten years (or thereabouts), rather than 1-2 lesser quality films every several years.

Reactions: skylark68

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've been tempted to buy this for awhile (since I saw Mandy), and now the price is only $8.99 on Amazon so I'll probably bite. Looks like one of those love/hate type of films. I loved Mandy so I think I'll probably enjoy this too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitashabtpuka