magnets for various uses...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Eash, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

hello all, first off, thanks to everyone. my sub will be unveiled in a month. it's shaping up nicely. i decided to share something with everyone that i really like. on partsexpress, they sell magnets for speaker grills. i bought some and have tried it out. my sub grill is huge, so they aren't up to the task the way i built the sub. but i do recommend everyone that builds a speaker and wants to add a grill use magnets as the way to attach the grill. this is what i did. before i put the veneer on the front, i drilled holes to fit the magnets, made them flush, and then put the veneer over them. depending on the size of your veneer and grill, you might need stonger magnets than partsexpress sells. if you go on ebay, you can find deals a hundred times better than partsexpress, which is what i did once i found out my grill needed stronger magnets. so i got the magnets hidden behind the veneer, and the other magnets in the grill, with grill cloth over them so the finish of my speaker doesn't get scratched. it works beautifully. just like standard grill guides, i just put the grill up to it and snap, it's in place. if you're like me, i like listening to my movies and music with the grills off, but still like the protection provided by the grills. and it looks so much better without those speaker grill guides maring my veneer. like i said, a complete build post with pics will be up soon, waiting on my 10" dia. port tube shipped from the states. just wanted to express how pleased i am with this system.

take care,

eric

2. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

BTW, there are more uses i plan for these powerful neodymium magnets that i'm not quite ready to discuss until i get more info. i'm planning on working on a clone of a manufacturers design, but need more info before i go into it more. also, if anyone else has good uses in the diy dept. for these amazingly strong magnets, please post it here. they are just so cheap for all the work they can do. another use i'm going to try to do is a diy screen mask system were i can flip down a flap between the different aspect ratios, relying on some small thin magnets to keep it all in place. these magnets are fun.

eric

3. Michael.Hoffman

I did the exact same thing with some grills I made for a 5.1 system. Great minds think alike [​IMG] It makes it much easier for the grills to go on and off. No holes to search and line up. The grills practically leap out of your hands when they get close enough to the speaker. One thing to watch out for is that you have the polarity lined up right. I almost messed that up but caught it in time before I started to epoxy the magnets to the grill. I just put those little felt circles (the ones they use on cabinet doors) on the magnets to keep the veneer from getting scratched.

Mike

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

yeah, that's what it is. i have a lot of thought put into the making of this, and i might even do two layered lev. tray. i just need a little more info which i actually scandalously asked the company that makes them. it can be cloned for very little compared to what they charge, and i don't think it will be that hard. all i need now is a centering device, i've already got enough strong magnets that are 3/4" x 3/4" that i might be able to make a 3 layered rack also, i just think centering gets more tricky after that. more to come on both my sub and tray soon.

eric

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

You can check this out for ideas(towards the bottom):
    http://www.psaudio.com/account/tips.asp?

I've been seriously thinking about doing this because my AV15's make my cd player skip when I want to show them off.

6. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

yeah, i'm thinking the same thing about my av15's. gr research said that the dodd audio levitator uses 2 rods to keep it aligned. i'm trying to think of a better way, but in the end i think that 2 rods is the best way, plus cheaper.

eric

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Or, Flubber.[​IMG]

8. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

yeah, small antigravity machine mixed in with some lasers to transmit signals to and from equipment and then an onboard power source that way nothing is connected to the ground in anyway. that sounds like a project for the people on the forum who own wilson X-1s and such.

eric