Magnetically Shielded

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ron Sc, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Ron Sc

Ron Sc Agent

I've read all through the SVS literature but didn't read anything about them being magnetically shielded. I can't imagine that they wouldn't be.
    Will I have any problems puting an SVS behind my Akai rear projection 54" HDTV.

2. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the SVS is not magnectically sheilded so you may have a problem putting it right behind the tv. I think a lot of subs are not magnetically shielded. I am not quite sure of the reason except that most people position their sub some distance away from the tv and the woofers tend to have huge magnets so it may be a problem to effectively shield them. 2 to 4 feet away should be adequate.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Subs are not difficult to magnetically shield, just that it is done slightly differently than with smaller drivers. I have no idea if SVSs are shielded, but with an RPTV I don't think it will matter much, unless the driver is sitting right near the CRT projector.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I think it would be fine if it is 12" or more away. Maybe less since the driver(s) will be a bit below the TV. Lots of subs and towers are not shielded, as most of the time these types of speakers do not sit very close to a TV.

5. Ron Sc

Ron Sc Agent

Thanks Guys
    RON

6. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Glad to be of some help.