What's new

magnetic shielding?? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Is there a way to shield a speaker from the outside? You see My back left speaker will be placed on a shelf deely right above my computer monitor. I just put it there now, and noticed some serious discolouration in the monitor. so that is currently not going to work. I could put the speaker somewhere else but I'd rather not. So is there anything I can do to shield the monitor from the speaker? (Place a sheet of metal under the speaker, encase it in concrete, use some sort of forcefield etc.)

thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A sheet of galvanized steel should work. Drop by your local hardware store, they should have it. Ask them about force fields too, just for comparison. :D The amount of concrete you'd need might be just a bit too heavy...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That might slightly perturb the field but it won't block it. Move the speaker.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It depends on the speaker and how strong the field is. I read that in a home audio book, I haven't actually tried it, and I wouldn't expect it to block 100% of magnetic effect with a larger magnet. The best solutions would be to move the speaker, buy shielded speakers or get an LCD monitor.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well try an experiment John. Take a piece of galvanized steel or just about any other metal for that matter. On one side place a sheet of white paper and some metal filings. On the other side, pass a magnet back and forth and observe what happens.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Ok, I moved both my rear speakers back even farther so now the left one doesn't affect the monitor. It still sounds perfectly fine to me. Just to let you all know, the lid of a filing cabinet does nothing to block the magnet from the monitor. (that was about the only sheet of metal I had in the house :b)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks