1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

magnetic shielding & svs subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

Tom/Ron,
    I was wondering if there was any magnetic shielding on my 20-39PC. It is currently placed about 1ft left of my wega tv. I see some blue on the upper left corner.
    Please advise!
    ------------------
    MY PHAT CRIB PIMPIN HT SETUP

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

None that I'm aware of. Most subs are not shielded.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    ??? why so close to the TV? TOO CLOSE!
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

That is too close for a speaker with such a large magnet.
    Subs are rarely if ever magnetically shielded. I know that SVS are not, so if you value your TV investment, you need to move it ASAP before that discoloration becomes permanent.
    Granted, the thing I don't get is that the blue tinge is at the top corner? It should be at the bottom corner, unless you somehow have the bottom of the SVS even with the top of your TV.
    Still, if your SVS is a foot away from your TV, and the TV is sitting at a "normal" viewing level.....let's say about 30 or 32 inches up.....that puts the driver magnet close to 3 feet away from the TV tube. Seems to be close to a safe range, but still too close for comfort.
    If the discoloration is in the top corner, I'd say it's coming from another source.

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Nope, not shielded. Hardly needed we've discovered. Might I suggest you simply move the SVS away from the TV to discover if it IS the sub?
    If it is, simply move it a few more inches, a foot even and you should be fine. Some sets are more sensitive to this sort of distortion than others. A foot away is not a good idea for accoustical reasons probably too. And the vibration on your set might not be that healthy either (not that we've studied this_.
    The only sub you really need to give some breathing space is the Ultra line. The magnet of the Ultra driver is VERY strong. I would advise you keep a CS-Ultra a min. of 3 feet from a TV.
    Ron