What's new

Magnetic shielding suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Graham Dean

Auditioning
My entertainment center has a flat top for my TV, and a space in the upper right corner where I put my receiver. After putting my new H/K AVR 325 in this spot I noticed the corner of the display turned green where it sits over the H/K. I've since moved them away from each other, but now the TV is 'off center' from the seating area.

Can anyone suggest what I can get to put beneath the TV that will shield it from the H/K? Thanks.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Graham,
I'm no expert, but I've been through the ringer trying to shield my TV from my subwoofer magnet. I've never heard of a receiver causing magnetic interference, but I suppose they generate magnetic fields via the power supply or amplification tidbits.
A receiver probably generates a lot less interference than a 12 inch subwoofer, so there may be hope, but I gave up and purchased a shielded woofer.
One route would be to shield your TV from your receiver with dense ferrous material like steel/iron sheets....problem is these eventually become magnetized and are bulky and ugly.
The route I looked into and eventually gave up on due to the cost and difficulty acquiring was MU-metal from a company like MSC (http://www.magnetic-shield.com/).
Mu metal is much better at preventing magnetic interference and requires much less material but much more expensive.
The other problem with all this is that ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) interference can damage your set without really being noticeable and can pass through anything but the most perfect shielding....you can rent a gauss meter and try to figure out if you are shielding everything properly, but they are pricey to rent and probably difficult to use.
I probably sound pretty discouraging, but the issue is a lot more complex than it appears on the surface. You may be in luck since a receiver has a much lower magnetic field than a subwoofer, but if you can find a way to do it, space is the safest route to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks