Magnetic shielding and RPTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have been on the fence about going with a rear projection widescreen or with a LCD front projector for my "media room".

I also plan to build some DIY speakers to go with the whole setup, and came up with the following question:

Are RPTVs subject to the same electro-magnetic interferrence as tube TVs? In short, do I need magnetically shielded speakers with an RPTV?

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

You know what, I had the same question a while ago. I myself have a RPTV and I also have non-shielded speakers, all around.

To make it short I have not had a single problem with electro-magnetic interference. I have a quite large, non-shielded center speaker sitting right on top of my RPTV. No problems.

Honestly, Id say go for it. If you cant get shielded anyway. I assume that RPTVs are less prone to this interference because the CRT itself is sitting on the bottom of the television and the rest of the tv is filled with empty space and the mirrors.

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Ok, Im not sure if I really answered your question.
    Im going to say no, no electro-magnetic interference should not be a problem.
    Plus, I heard that shielding speakers is not very difficult. [​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I guess it comes down to not knowing exactly how an RPTV works. Is there a site someplace that explains that?

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I believe that the difference is that Projection TVs have convergence controls. So if a magnetic field screws up your picture alignment you just go back and readjust the convergence to compensate for it. But with a direct view TV, there's no convergence control for the user. So you've got to be careful when things like speakers that tend to have a hefty magnet in them.