Magnetic sheets of metal ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm working on a craft project with my wife. I'm in need of some relatively thin sheets of magnetic metal. Does such exist? I went to Lowes and grabbed a roll of aluminum flashing . . . turns out aluminum isn't magnetic.

So, what should I get and where can it get it? Also, is it paintable with or without a primer?

Thanks!

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Are you looking for something to which magnets will stick, or something that is magnetic and will hold other metals?

There are metalized and magnetized paints, which might suffice and be easier to work with. Here's a google search to get you started.

http://www.google.com/search?q=magnetic+paint

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm looking for something that will hold magnets. I have seen the magnetic paints, but they're a little more than I was hoping to spend on this. That is my last resort currently.

Thanks for the response!

4. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Narrow your search to steel. Exclude stainless steel (although some grades of stainless could work)

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    It's actually the low-quality grades of stainless steel that will hold a magnet, so don't think you're searching for something reserved for expensive applications.

6. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Seth-

Look in the phone book for sheet metal shops. They all have scrap they will let you browse through and will probably let you take what you want for free or maybe a small fee. We let people come in all the time a take what they want up to a 2'x2' square, sometimes larger depending on what we have for scrap.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Go to Lowes and go back to their ductwork section and you will find sheets of galvanized steel.

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will get on that this weekend or early next week.

Another question: what do I use to cut it to the size it want? I'd prefer a clean cut, but I guess I could hide a ragged cut if necessary.

9. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Tin snips or metal cutting blade in your circular saw would be the best bet. If the metal is thin enough, you might be able to score it several times with a utility knife and break it along the score line by bending it back & forth.

-Dave

10. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

For your practical purposes ... there is only 1 magnetic element ... Iron.
    As long as your metal has a fair amount of iron ... it's gonna be magnetic.

Steel = Iron + Carbon
    Stainess = Iron + Carbon + Chromium

Aluminum, Tin, copper, Gold, Silver, Titanium, Mercury, etc. ... NOPE, not magnetic.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Maybe the sheet metal shop you get the scrap from would cut it for you for a reasonable fee? Places like Lowes and Home Depot cut lumber for a few, but I don't know if they do metal.