Magnepans hanging from the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Well, I know it might sound wierd but I figured I'd ask the question. I see that they have a version that swings out. I was wondering about doing something from the ceiling...
    Using wire, attach to the top of the maggies (rears will be probably MMGs & MGCC). Then I'd have a hook on the back wall that I could connect to the wire when I wanted the speakers out of the way.
    I haven't made it over to even audition anything yet, but I figured I'd start this thread anyway.
    So, the idea is to suspend the speakers instead of putting them on stands. I'm having trouble with the rear surround (MGCC) and what to put it on. Hanging it/them seems to make a lot more sense.
    So, what do you guys think? Crazy?
    For the fronts I figure I'd be building a very solid base to attach to the feet to ensure they don't get toppled.
    I figure the fronts are as much of the problem as the rears. If I settle on the floorplan I've been looking at lately the door is very close to the rear, so the rears are of concern due to the traffic patterns (by people and dogs)

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Bill while I'm sure it would work if you're like me any temp sol'n would likely end up being permanent [​IMG] I don't see why it won't work though with about the only problem being reachign the roof to reattach the speakers...
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Bill
    Sounds pretty cool!
    I like unique solutions to problems.
    Here's a great site if you want to make your maggies very distinct http://www.grillecloth.com/
    I built all my speakers into the wall or cabinets so people don't even realize I have a HT when the cabinet is shut
    My webpage (a little dark and old....but you get the idea)
    The 1st photo you can see the rear speaker (kind of); built into the wall
    The 2nd picture down, you can see the speaker cabinet above the Giant Armoire (and above the Scottie Dog!) http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html
    Grant
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

4. Bill Bradstreet

Well, actually I wasn't thinking they'd have to be detached from the wires. I was thinking that I could swing the speakers back against the wall when I wasn't using the HT hooking them to the back wall. With 8-foot ceilings upstairs I would have 2-3 feet of wire which means I could have the speaker 2-3 feet from the back wall right?
    That's the logic anyway. :)

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

well if yo udo I'd love to see some pictures [​IMG] Sounds like a fun project
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

6. Bill Bradstreet

The more I think about it, I will want to have an anchor cable as well. One that stops the Maggies from swinging freely. I guess that's the one thing I'm totally thrilled about at this point. Having an hole (of some sort to attach a bungie-type cord to/through) in the floor means I'll have to do something custom in the carpet.
    The ceiling is pretty easy... three or four wires for each speaker to keep motion to a minimum... two connection points for the bottom to keep it from swinging... then you have the connection points on the back wall used to keep the Maggies out of the way when not in use.
    Some type of wire less visible than speaker wire will be in order, but not so thin someone can cut themselves on it if they catch an arm or leg on it. etc... blah blah blah.
    That's where I'm at so far.
    Oh, and the knowledge that I have to get the speakers position perfectly BEFORE doing all this. yuck