What's new

Magnepan Subwoofer suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Some good suggestions above but before you get a sub measure how low they actually go in your room where they will be placed. Bass frequencies sum, so you want to cross over the sub at a point just below where the mains drop off, otherwise you will get that bass bump. For example if they really drop off at 100HZ, you want to cross it over below 100HZ and I would also recommend that the sub be located not that far away from the mains as well if it is crossed over that high.

You may find that your room reinforces certain frequencies based on its dimensions, speaker placement and decor. So I would not automatically assume 100HZ. If you can't get your hands on a RTA to measure then an SPL meter along with a test disc (e.g. http://www.delosmus.com/cgi/cart/ite...35011077199456) that has a good set of bass test tones (that disc counts down from the low 160HZ area so it covers a wide spectrum vs. something like: http://mdf1.tripod.com/test-tones.html which can be downloaded). I would also only get something that you can audition with your speakers on a trial basis.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with those that have said that with a crossover point as high as 100Hz you will certainly want the sub to be physically close to your Mags. Try to keep the approximate distance to your listening position from the Mags and sub close in distance. Go for the Force, it is an absolutely outstanding sub that you should be able to get a seamless blend to the Mags.

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
You have a small room so consider a small 8" sub to start such as the PSB SuperZero. Even a small sub in a small room can easily become over bearing and work against your room acoustics. A smaller (so called "fast") sub should also compliment your MMG's. If you find yourself in a larger room one day, consider a bipolar sub (dual woofers in one enclosure), which I have found to be the best choice for Maggies. Mirage makes one.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks