Magnepan My Reciever ok?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hey Everybody,,I was toying with the idea of getting a 3 set of Magnepans L/C/R.. Perhaps the MG12's...EDIRT: I found a FAQ at Magnepan and they do RECCOMNED A 4 Ohm receiver:http://www.magnepan.com/faq#equipmentI would like to know which Company makes a 7.1 Receiver with Pre outs and 4 ohm.. I found NAD so what other receiver companies do I have to choose from that offer a 4ohm 7.1 receiver?? perhaps even seperates are on the table??http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-748-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
The owners manual says it can produce 80x7 at 8ohm(all channels driven). They list a 6ohm spec, all channels driven, of 110. Should not be a problem. They should only take around 40 per to rock the room.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
the manual for the Marantz??the maggies are 4 ohm??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
All 4ohm means, in reality...It requires less gain to create power. Period.Any amplifier has a given amount of power it can produce based on its power supply and based on how much power it can create and still keep itself cool.So Marantz is saying(no I didn't check how much power it sucks off the wall) it can produce 560 total watts at 8ohm.So, 560 total watts at 4ohm is still safe, period.The difference is, at 8ohm it probably produces 560 total at 70-80% of volume. At 4ohm it will produce 560 total at roughly 45-50% of volume.You are using 3. 80X3 is 240. Same volume ratio as above, simple. Hook them up, enjoy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
By the way, this is a Marantz from before D&M decided to recreate Marantz as "a Denon in fancier clothes".Cheap Denon(varies year to year, typically under $600) are notorious for self destruction on 4ohm(I still cite user stupidity more than amp design).Any AVR that sucks less than 250 watts off the wall should not be used with 4ohm speakers...and like I said above...User stupidity of "turning it up too high" which overruns the power supply and overruns the amps ability to stay cool is the far and away cause of "my amp/receiver/avr died". Regardless if the ohm load of the speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
I read your edit.Any Onkyo(except ones that start with a 3 or 4, and even then, Onkyo might still list 4ohm) and Integra.As far as I've checked in 20 years of doing this, only Onkyo/Integra, Kenwood(defunct in home audio) and Technics(also technically defunct in home audio) have ever said, across the board, all of their AVR could do 4ohm.I'm sure some of the E series Denon(2000/4000) are "certified 4ohm".Any of the Yamaha Aventage are up to the task.Of course Anthem.Don't know about any of the Pio/Elite. I would assume any of the $1200+ Elite would have no problem.But really, to reiterate what I said before...Your present Marantz is up to the task.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I see what you are saying but what should I set the level too -20, -30?? I am unsure if I would want to chance blowing the maggies..

I did find this receiver an Onkyo TX-NR717 that fits the bill and for a good price online.. It will also do SACD/DVD-A through HDMI too which I plan on getting a new Oppo BluRay Player that does all the formats..

Heck all I would need then is a 3D Projector and I would be set.. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
I had a set of SMG(don't remember if I or II) that I ran with a Denon DRA35.Maggies aren't the power suck you think they'll be.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK Now I am in Contact with a local dealer for Magnepans.. I am a little confused with their offerings.. He is telling me I should look at the MMG's as they fit into my Budget fine..

Are they besides the Center channel all I will need for the Fronts and center.. As he is telling me later I can add the DWM Woofer Panels for the woofer part..

Now Are the MMG's all I will need for Fronts L/R?? What is this addon Wooferpanel, will the MMG's not be a complete set??

The Magnepan website is not any more forthcoming with the options and what is in the Panels??

I did look on the Magnepan website perhaps I should just get a set of the MG12's as they look like the all in one solution I am seeking in the Speaker set??

I have decided on getting the Onkyo from A4Less TX-NR717
.. they have that model for near half price too good to pass up plus they have the Analog Outs for my Denon DVD-A/SACD Player. I will not need to get the oppo BD Universal player.. I can get this all within budget..

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR717&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

So Should I go with the MMG's or the MG12's ?? L/C/R..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
Back when, Magnapan was easier to figure out...than it is today.

Back when there was(others as well, but these were the mainstay) the SMG, MMG and Tympani.

In other words...

Small Maggie
Medium Maggie
Enormous Maggie.

Now, in the advent of "5.1" and subwoofers...Magnapan has followed the "industry standard" of saying...

"Buy these with a subwoofer."

The 12 probably doesn't need one. It isn't as stout as the Tympani was(nothing Maggie makes now is as stout as the Tympani was...but if you look up the Tympani...you'll easily see "why they are stout" and why Maggie doesn't make them anymore).

The MMG is their bread and butter. A killer theater would be the 12 as your L/R with the MMG-W/C for the other three. Let the bass management in the AVR take 100hz from the other three and let the 12's handle it all. Is the 12 going to play Grandmaster Flash with the neighbors house bumping? No...but it won't be a slouch either.

Also, there is no reason for any of the other "numbered" ones to be used with a subwoofer.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK sounds good.. So I definitely should get the 12's?? as they are a better speaker for the Fronts?? I need a 7.1 solution for my setup so I guess another 2 MMG's would be required but at a later date.. Right now I am just looking to get the Front L/C/R.. mains and a center channel I have a beasty of a Subwoofer IXL 18.4 in a 285L Box ;)

So what is wrong with the MMG's as the Mains??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
Nothing is wrong with MMG mains.

I used the SMG on 40wpc(the Denon DRA 35) in strictly 2.0. The MMG are more capable than the SMG.

It comes down to this...

IF you are going to listen to "strict 2.0" (which the Onkyo Pure Direct is what I almost exclusively listen to LP and CD with) from time to time...buy the 12.

IF you are never going to listen in "strict 2.0", buy the MMG and save a few bucks.

Besides, if you buy the MMG and you decide you wish for a tad more low end...then buy the 12, move the MMG to the rear. Depending what movies you watch(action), you'll appreciate the MMG over the MMG-W.

I gather this isn't exactly a small room here. My SMG were in a purposely set up listening room that was 16x20.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I have Plenty of low end with my 285L IXL 18.4 subwoofer.. I am just looking for a really decent set of fronts.. I am mainly using it for Multichannel stuff like SACD/DVD-A and such.. So perhaps I will goto the store and check out the MMG's..

They say they have them setup to demo, Will be interesting to hear what these things sound like..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
I would have a pair of Maggie now, if this house wasn't full of windows to block(and the whole sun beating on them).Be forewarned, if they got the 3.7 up to demo...leave your wallet in the car. The 3.7 is flat out awesome.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well they have the MMG, 1.7, 3.7 and 20.7 on display and can be demoed.. I cant wait I may go tomorrow..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
The 3.7 is probably the best pair of $5500 speakers there is.The 20.7 is just more "3.7 goodness".I talked to guy today about the Maggie centers, he said the centers "must" use the bass module. If you don't buy/use it you lose a bunch of soundstage. The MMG and bigger produce an enormous soundstage.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
degroof