What's new

Magnepan MMG's can they be bi-wired? (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I was looking at these on the Magnepan site and It did not say if these speakers were capable of being bi-wired. It also did not have a power rating or a suitable Amplifier range to use with these speakers. It is possible I may want to replace my PSB Century 600i's with these if they meet my needs.

I listen to music very loud sometimes so if the power handling is weak these might not work for me.

I also have a Carver AV-505 with 80 watts for each of the 5 channels. I have the PSB's bi-amped using 4 channels of the amp for just two speakers. If the Magnepans can handle 160 watts each and are bi-wirable then I might make the change, but I want to be sure.

Seth=L

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I have never heard of there being any merit to bi-wiring speaker. It seems to be a complete waste of money.

That being said, I could guess at the answers to your questions, but why not call or e-mail Magnepan and ask them directly? They ought to know best.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I'm really surprised that some of the guys who have contributed to the huge Magnepan thread have not weighed in. They must be on vacation. At great personal risk :), I am going to say that since you sometimes like to listen to music very loud, the MMG is not the best choice. I think that you would have to move up to the least expensive full size Maggie to comfortably handle very loud music.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You need to define "very loud", but yeah I agree with Arthur that the MMG will not give you enough volume, even if you had tons of juice to feed them. I had the MMGs for a time and I did notice that absolute volume was one of their weaknesses. Given the price and what they did well, it was certainly not too much to complain about.

Alan M

Second Unit
I"m not sure if MMG's can be biwired.Calling Magnepan will answer that question.

As to the power and loudness question,
My MMG fronts are being driven by a 400 WPC @ 4 ohm amp. Over 100 decibels in my 20x15 room is easy,much too loud for my taste.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I agree with 'M'....my MMGs played more than loud enough for me in my 16x25 room, but I also know that some people like to listen a lot louder than I'd ever even consider. If you want speakers that dump out massive SPLs into the room, Maggies probably aren't the way to go. That being said, if you can give them a nice amp, you may want to order a pair and try them for yourself. Maggies helped me to really understand what it is that I want out of a home audio system. I loved my time with them and I recommend them quite frequently. If you give them what they need to sound their best, they can give you a whole lot of wonderful sound.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
It seems they can handle what I can give them. I have a Carver av-505 with 80 watts rms at 8 ohms, but with a cooling system and bi-amping I can probably get almost 200 watts rms 8 ohms to go to them.

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks