What's new

Magnepan dealers? (1 Viewer)

Kevin.W.H

Auditioning
Is there any way to order magnepan speakers when you don't live anywhere near a dealer? There aren't any in my state? I don't really want to fly to buy speakers.

And just another thought popped into my head...any comparable internet available speakers?

Thanks

KWH

PomingF

Second Unit
Have you check out the Magnepan website yet? They may be able to help you with either direct sale or refer you to the nearest dealer. I got mine off Audiogon. If you live close enough to an owner or beta tester of the new Rockets, their flagship model (750) sounds mighty sweet enough to remind me of Maggies. Cheers.

PF

ling_w

Second Unit
I think mail order of Magnepan speakers are allowed only if your state doesn't have a dealer.

I wouldn't advise you to buy big maggie sspeakers if you never heard of them. Some people just can't seem to let go of that boom and bam of the boxy speakers.

As far as comparision to the boxy speakers, don't even try.

PomingF

Second Unit
I like to look at it as being 'diversive' instead of narrow minded.
FWIW my favorite/reference speaker happens to be neither. :D
PF

PomingF

Second Unit
Jack, thank you for your interest/curiosity. ;)
I was referring to Ling-W's 'letting go of boxy speakers' comment in that I don't by no means hold any preference to one design over another know each has it's own limitations & attributes. Also despite the difference in design hence sound character I do find the two tonally quite similar. Cheers.
PF

ling_w

Second Unit
Box speaker and planar dipoles sounding similar tonally? I cannot imagine that. How could the sound of speaking naturally out in the open be comparable to taking with ones head in a box?

ling_w

Second Unit
If you want good freq response speakers, just pick the ones that are highly rated by Consumer Report.

How do you measure freq resp with planar dipoles? Anechoic? Near field in a room? Combined speaker/room response? There is no std FR measurement method for planar dipoles, and anyone who goes on measuring based on their usual measuring method of the honking resonator speakers will surely not measure how the speaker truely sound. One could measure the bass to be flat, but upon listening, the will realize that it sounds completely different from the distortion box that has a similar response.

The only way to know whether you want it or not is to listen to it. A car boombox owner who struck it rich surely will be disappointed if he ever decides to extend his audio gear to his home and went to his local high end shop. It doesn't matter if he tried to buy the biggest SoundLabs or Wilson Grnad SLAMM.

Kevin.W.H

Auditioning
Thanks for keeping to the original thread.
It makes coming back here to see responses worth it.
KHW:rolleyes

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ling:
Box speaker and planar dipoles sounding similar tonally? I cannot imagine that. How could the sound of speaking naturally out in the open be comparable to taking with ones head in a box?
While I appreciate your fondness for Maggies, in all fairness it should be pointed out that there are a number of high quality speakers in which the impact of the cabinet is far less than your posts imply.
Larry

ling_w

Second Unit
Larry,

I know there are better versions of putting ones head in a box. I've heard quite a few. But it does not come without a price. With the billet aluminum, corian, granite, lead laminate enclosures of high end spekers, the cost of the enclosure probably approaches 90% of the total speaker price. Look at the WATT/Puppies or something like the Kharmas. That is why it is better if the mfg could eliminate that whole stetp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks