Magnepan 1.6 vs Eminent Technology LFT8a

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Brent, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Dec 12, 2002
    I probably won't get too many responses here on this, but I do know that there are some maggie people hear so I thought I'd ask.

I recently discovered the maggie 1.6's. Really liked them.

I'm trying to go to more of a 2 channel setup from HT, so I've been looking around a bit more, and while traveling today, I found a Vandersteen dealer. Listened to 2ce sigs and 5a sigs (won't go into the 5a's) Liked the vandy's but I still think I want to go planar/dipole.

The dealer recommended Eminent Technology LFT-8a's. He gave me a price that is a little cheaper than the maggies, but I'm concerned about the 8 inch woofer for low end instead of planar bass.

Any comments here??
  2. Eric:F

Eric:F Stunt Coordinator

Jun 19, 2004
    if you are looking for that transparent "ribbon" sound, then you need to check these out:
    Jim Salk is a pleasure to work with and offers a $ back guaranty.
    i wanted maggies or electrostats for my front soundstage but could't handle the waf or cost factors.
    i now have the Salk HTS-MTMs and the ht sound is superb.
    if i was going with a 2 channel set up, i would try Jim's Veracity series. i drool over them (check his site).
    Jim offers custom designs at reasonable prices.
  3. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

May 25, 1999
    I like the Magnepan sound and spent some time listening to the 12 and the 1.6. Due to my budget I was looking at the used market. While looking, someone suggested the LFT IIIA as something to look at. No local dealers so I did quite a bit of research. Long story short is I bought a pair of used LFT VIIIa's and love them. I also have a HSU TN1220 sub, so base isn't an issue.

You can also find opinions here