What's new

Magnavox 51MP392H questions (1 Viewer)

curtis_h

Auditioning
Has anyone seen the new Magnavox 51MP392H? I see that Walmart and Circuit city sell it. I am assuming that it is a new set because I can not find a single review of this hdtv. Also, I went to the magnavox site and found an owners manual which was informative but I also found what was called "Directions For Use" link for this model and it indicated that it had a DVI input but the owners manual does not have any information on a DVI input. Does nayone know anything about this set? Also, at the circuit city site it indicates that it does not have a built in screen shield and I wonder if that is accurate. Most of the RP hdtv's I've seen have a built in screen shield. I know it is on the lower end of HDTV's but some of us have a budget even though we would like a GW or a Samsung dlp HDTV. Any information would be useful. Thank you.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's way too new for there to be any significant number of user reveiws. As for the DVI, maybe somebody will just have to go to CC and look at the back of the set.

Magnavox is a division of Phillips, which has a pretty decent track record, better than RCA/Thomsen anyway.

curtis_h

Auditioning
I thought it was a little odd that this set says "Magnavox" and not Phillips. I have an old Magnavox in my room and it is pretty nice considering it may be about 5 to 7 years old. So is magnavox the same as Phillips? If so aren't they just competing with themselves? As for the built in screen shield what do you all here suggest? Should it have a built in screen or is it likely to be better without the screen? Again, any info. on this set would be appreciated. Thank you.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's a low-end loss leader, probably lacks some features and has lower component quality than the Philips branded sets. Philips wants to be perceived as higher end and thus doesn't put their name on it even though they do make it, just as thomsen puts the GE name rather than RCA on their loss-leaders.

In the long run you'd be better off from the standpoint of picture quality, features, and reliability going with a bit smaller set at a bit higher price such as the 42-48 inch models from Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi. These can be had for only $200-300 more and have known track records.

throughout the history of tv marketing in the US, dating back to the 50s there have always been larger tvs at unusually low prices that have had mediocre performance or poor reliability. A recent trend is for foreign mfgs to buy up names that have had good reputations in the past in the US industry (RCA, Sylvania, Magnavox, Admiral, GE, Bell and Howell) and re-introduce the name slapped onto mediocre product. I keep waiting for Philco, Hoffman, Arvin, and Du Mont to reappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks