Magnavox $378.87 DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Will, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Has anyone seen or tried this Magnavox DVD Recorder model MDV650R that Sam's Club has?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats a low-end version of the Philips DVD-recorder (Philips owns the Magnovox name) and has a lot of features removed so its not very useful. It records to DVD+R and +RW discs. The record quality is not as good as the Panasonic recorders. The Panasonic E50 is priced under $450 at many retail stores now, that would be a much better buy.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

What kind of features has been removed?

4. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

I just bought the Panny DMR E80H DVD recorder, it goes for approx 699 but worth every penny. It has an 80 gig hard drive so there is no need for dvd's to copy to (however you can still copy to dvd in -r or dvd-ram format) you just copy right to the hard drive. Don't bother buying a low end recorder it's not worth the money. I do agree with Don_Berg if you don't have the money for this one go with the panny e50.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

6. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I bought mine from Amazon... I paid $545 including 2 day shipping... Just ordered yesterday...

I did find it cheaper at other places online ($490 was the lowest), but Amazon has a great reputation and doesnt really hassel when it comes to exchanging or returning if there is a problem, so I went with them...

Local stores like Circuit City have it for $699 plus tax... But, I figure why give someone almost $200 more by the time all is said and done?

I can wait 2 days...

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I have the E50. I got it primarily for dumping VHS and LD onto DVD. Its fantastic.

8. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I bought the Philips DVDR75 and love it. Great recorder for the price ($399 online I believe)

If you check out DVDRhelp.com or DVDplusRW.org, you'll see the Magnavox isn't highly regarded. Too many bugs and poor video quality.

My DVDR75 offers DVI input for digital camcorders (Panny lower ends don't), Component IN (none on Panny's)AND OUT, S-Video in and out, and best of all (for me) it plays both +R AND-R. Picture and sound is great even in the 4 hour mode...6 is ok for stuff you don't want to keep (recording sitcoms etc. for watching later in the week)I have NEC 1300 PC DVD burner that burns both and since I backup a lot of DVD's in both + and - I'm happy I can play both formats flawlessly on the DVDR75...Can't say that about the Panny's. They are very finicky about playing +R.

Since I can do PC editing, and have Tivo, I have no need for a recorder with a hardrive.

Good luck in your search!
    Alfer